Options

A+ exam concering questions

aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, just wanted to do a quick intro of myself. I've been into PC related tech stuff just like most of you for more than 15 or more years. But for some reason I've always putted off getting a certification in what I like to do. Don't ask why because I don't know either as to why I chose to wait so long. By waiting this long I have just made things much harder on myself with Comptia making changes to the exams like performance based and their now being an expired date on some certifications.

I have now decided to try and get into the field but I have a few concerning questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1. Am I allowed to take ONE exam, then if I fail I don't have to waste money on taking a second exam. I just feel that if I schedule for both the 801 and 802 exams and if I fail either, it would be pointless in taking the second exam and I just wasted almost $200. Will the test center tell me my score if I passed the 801 exam if I choose to take the 802 exam at another time?

2. If I am allowed to take each exam at another time. What is the time span I'm given to take the second exam before I have to take the first exam again?

3. I have finished reading the Mike Myers and finished the Exam Cram + CD practice questions but I still feel that I am not ready for the exams. Especially on the performance based questions that I fear. I find it baffling how I can't find any performance based questions online anywhere. All I can find are the multiple choice questions. I don't want to get thrown off by a performance question. I just want to get a basic idea on how they look like. Is there a website or does anyone know of a place that show what these questions look like? Again I just want to get a basic idea on how they look like.

4. I've always heard the exams are 90 mins with 100 questions. So does that mean you have less than 1 minute to answer each question and what about performance based questions? icon_sad.gif Is the time increased for people taking the performance based questions simply because they are harder to answer?

5. Will there be any Windows 8 questions on the 801-802 exams? The books that I've read only covered XP, Vista and 7. I am hearing reports around the internet that Win8 questions might appear. Can anyone clarify on this? I don't want to spend $400 then get surprised by Win8 questions.

I guess thats it, any info is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome! TE is a great source for information...I would check CompTIA A+ Certification for some more info on the A+ certification. As for the two exams, I believe you're allowed to take the exams seperate. As I recall, I did not pass the essentials the first time so I took the other one and passed that. Then took the essentials again and passed. I believe if you fail more than twice you have to wait a certain period of time. I wouldn't be too concerned with the performance questions, they're well put toegether and easy to understand. You sound like you've got plenty of experience so I wouldn't be too worried. Check the link I posted, that should be able to answer most of your questions more clearly...

Good Luck!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    SalokinSalokin Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just recently took both of the A+ exams so I'll try and answer your questions the best I can..

1. I'm not sure about cancellations or rescheduling any exams as I took both tests a week apart but I can tell you that you will know instantly if you passed or failed and the score you achieved.

2. If I'm understanding you right, I believe you think that you have to take the 801 and pass before the 802 which is not true. You can take the 802 before the 801 but you won't receive the certification until both exams are passed. If you feel more comfortable on the software objectives, by all means, take the 220-802 first!

3. Don't worry about the performance based questions. They are really basic and are there to basically simulate what you might actually run into on the job as a PC technician. If you know how to build a computer, or how to troubleshoot you should do fine on these.

4. I can't speak for everyone but personally, if I remember exactly, both of my exams were around 70 to 80 questions. The multiple choice goes fast so you will have plenty of time.

5. I didn't have Windows 8 on either of my exams but again, I am just 1 person. Core concepts for Windows 8 still exist though so if you do run into anything use common sense!

My suggestion: Go to CompTIA's website and print off their objective list for both exams. If you feel uncomfortable about any of those objectives, research them. If you do that, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    coloradogeek99coloradogeek99 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a link to a video that is posted on CompTIA's facebook. It explains the test as a whole and even gives some examples of performance based questions and other various scenarios you might run into while taking the exam. Obviously the questions are not what is going to be on the test but it will give you a good idea of what those questions will look like.
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151401862614062

Also, just so you know the test is a maximum of 90 questions. It can be less than that. From what I have read and heard from the people I have talked to about the exam and not one person I know had 90 questions on their test, they were all less than that. But that does not mean that it is not possible to get 90 questions on your exam, every exam is different.
  • Options
    This site is great, I feel more informed now. :D Its very nice to hear that there are only 90 questions or maybe less on the exam. But then again the test will be that much harder as the number of incorrect answers you can get obviously lessens. Oh well.

1. I do have 3 more questions for those that can answer them, can anyone tell me what happens if I pass the first exam but fail the second exam does Comptia allow us to retake the failed exam again or is it just a one time thing and that I have to start over? I heard or read somewhere that if you pass the 802 but fail the 801 then you are given another chance to take the 801 again. Not exactly sure how that quote went but it was around there. Thanks for any clarification.

2. May I take the 220-802 exam now and then wait for results for the 802 exam, then if I pass the exam can I then schedule to take the 220-801 exam at another time?

3. I wanted to take a look at the prices for the A+ exam and I noticed that the time estimated says 135 mins. I have always known and someone here mentioned that the exam will have 90 questions. Can anyone clarify on this? Does this mean there will be 135 questions?

Thanks for any clarification
  • Options
    Стив (Steve)Стив (Steve) Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    aolish,

I've been in computers about the same amount of time you have been, as a hobby. Decided now was a good time to get out of the industrial maintenance field. Took both exams today, I wanted to get the pain over with in one sitting. You can take one exam at a time, both are needed for the cert. I used the Mike Meyers A+ Passport. Each test had a little over 80 questions with around eight of them being simulation types. Passed both, the 802 exam was the more difficult one. The simulation questions on the 802 were pretty vague, know your command line network specific commands. There were Win XP questions (not sure why since Win XP is going away in April), but no Win 8 questions. Most questions are multiple choice types, typically two answers can be discarded immediately leaving the choice between the two remaining answers. A few of the "choose the best two answers" and I remember one where you had to choose the best three out of six. You know your score at the end of the test after answering some survey questions. The results also tell you the areas you were weak in.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification, its very nice of you to share your experience on the simulation questions. I can't find ANY simulation sample questions online. I do have another question, you said I can take one exam at a time. If I choose to take one exam at a time what is the time frame that I get to take the second exam before I have to retake the first exam. Thanks again for the help.