Options

Entry-level Infrastructure/Virt certs for an SE

Looking for some advice/direction. Long story short I have been working as an SE (Sales Engineer) for a virtualization management company and am looking to get more deeply entrenched with my infrastructure knowledge. I have a pretty solid understanding of VMware and am aiming at obtaining a VCP in the near future for both credibility and overall knowledge purposes.

The issue (and it's a good one) is that obviously virtualization touches all aspects of the infrastructure, so I would like to have a better understanding, even at just a basic level, of all related infrastructure technologies (storage, networking, compute, servers) and am looking at certs, even if I don't plan on taking the exam on some of them to do so.

Example: Network+ is more than enough for me to have a solid grasp of basic networking fundamentals should they come up in conversation etc.

I'd like something similar in terms of entry-level and broad overview for the storage side. We deal a lot with NetApp and EMC and there are certain times when getting deep into the weeds that I can get lost. Obviously Storage+ may be suggested but I hear it's pretty dated.

CLIFS: Just looking for some guidance/recs on basic entry-level infrastructure (outside of virtualization) related certs, even if just for self-study purposes. Storage, networking, servers etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA certs are good for providing an overview. They have Storage+ and Server+ for you to choose from. But there are other avenues, perhaps ask the guys who already work over there?
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    CompTIA certs are good for providing an overview. They have Storage+ and Server+ for you to choose from. But there are other avenues, perhaps ask the guys who already work over there?

Yeah, probably a wise idea. I notice the Storage+ and Server+ are pretty unpopular... I am guessing this is due to them having dated literature?