Options

Multiple websites using IIS?

deathinmyveindeathinmyvein Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello friends,

Can anyone elaborate on how we can launch multiple websites using IIS?

Thanks and regards

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can bind multiple web sites using the same IP and different TCP ports in your binding configuration. For example, bind site1 to 80 and site2 to 81. You can also attach multiple IPs to the same server and bind different web sites to different IPs on the same port for example, you can bind site1 to 10.10.10.10:80 and site2 to 10.10.10.11.80.

Hope this helps.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    You can bind multiple web sites using the same IP and different TCP ports in your binding configuration. For example, bind site1 to 80 and site2 to 81. You can also attach multiple IPs to the same server and bind different web sites to different IPs on the same port for example, you can bind site1 to 10.10.10.10:80 and site2 to 10.10.10.11.80.

I couldn't have explained it better!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually learned something from this thread. Thanks!
  • Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    You can also use hostnames to have multiple sites going to 1 IP address.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mapping to IP, port, or host header are options.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    host header

That's what I was thinking - One IP, and use the host field in the HTTP header.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally prefer multiple IPs because it makes SSL binding easier but the host header is a great way to go - especially if IP space is limited or another constraint keeps you with only a single IP and you have another constraint regarding inbound ports (this is often the case if your site is intended to be consumed via a web browser).

The OP didn't specify if he intends to set up SSL so really he can use any of the three options, with the host header probably being the most simple and straightforward to implement.

To supplement my example you can bind 10.10.10.10:80 www.mysite.com and 10.10.10.10:80 help.mysite.com by setting the host name field in your binding configuration.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    deathinmyveindeathinmyvein Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am a novice and learning.
    Thanks a ton for the replies.
    :)
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    In IIS you can do secondary IP, host header, or port bindings for a web server.

With reverse proxies you can do path-based:
    - www.domain.com/webapp1
    - www.domain.com/webapp2

or domain-based (FQDN):
    - web1.domain.com
    - web2.domain.com

The above two technologies supported by reverse proxies/accelerators is called multi-homing, for fronting multiple back-end web servers.
    Multi-homing is the ability to read from multiple origin Web servers over the same IP address and IP port.Within a large company or corporation, IP addresses (for example, 10.1.1.1) are valued resources that are managed with great care. Opening additional ports can be especially time-consuming and political because of firewall and security issues

Windows Server 2012R2 just integrated reverse proxy'ing with the web application proxy role.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    The previous posts covered most of the bases, but from a user/support perspective I prefer NOT to use alternate ports. You run into issues with users forgetting to use :81, :8080, etc so they end up at the wrong site or firewalls may block non-standard ports so people can't get to your site. For an at-home lab or small intranet it's fine, but be aware of those issues.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...