Options

Network Engineering and Programming?

KawaiiiiKawaiiii Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, this is my first post. Sorry if it's in the wrong section!

At my school, there's something called AOIT. woottonaoit.org

I am currently a freshman in High School, and already know that I want to go into programming (probably gameplay programming or something similar).

It offers three pathways: Programming, Information Resource Design (Web Development), and Network/Hardware

Here is a detailed description of each of the courses: woottonaoit.org/courses/

And the courses you would take for each pathway: woottonaoit.org/pathways (Design Technology Solutions (DTS) is something you need before you start any pathway, mostly everyone takes it freshmen year).

I am wondering that would it be in any way beneficial to me if I took Network Engineering too? I've heard a bit about SDN and OpenFlow and all that, but not much.

So, my question is, would it help me in any way if I took Network Engineering (already going to take programming next year)? Is there a job that merges Network Engineering and Programming together?

Comments

• Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    It will be useful, specially if you have interest to go into infosec. Cisco's newest cert tracks are about fusing programming and networking knowledge.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/98107-new-cisco-certifications-sdn-nfv.html
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No matter what you do in IT, programming can be extremely useful and make you more valuable than you might otherwise be.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree a good fundamental understanding of program will make you a strong in any field of IT. Either because you use it daily, write the odd script, or just will understand how application work.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Oh, um, I guess I forgot to say that I'm aspiring to become a programmer in the gaming industry. Should I still take Network Engineering anyway? =|
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, you do not need to do a Network Engineer course.

Good luck on being a programmer in the gaming industry. You'll have a lot more competition.

A lot.

Source : I work & live by a college called Digipen, thousands of kids wanting to be game programmers and approximately 10-20 actual openings per annum in my state for that kind of role..
    :twisted:
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think networking is a bit like programming, while you don't need it to be a programmer basic understanding of fundamental networking is not going to hurt. Especially if you end up wanting to work an multiplier games where you are programming routines to efficiently use networks and deal with latency issues.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is their a fee, or charge to take the class? After high school, for the rest of your life nothing is free. If you have the time, take the free class. You will have to pay out of pocket after High School. Backup professions are good, because income is not a guarantee in life; network engineering is a good choice. __________________> P.S. this s a good place to come for advice the people here will always try and give you good advice, u should bookmark it right away.
  • Options
    Is their a fee, or charge to take the class? After high school, for the rest of your life nothing is free. If you have the time, take the free class. You will have to pay out of pocket after High School. Backup professions are good, because income is not a guarantee in life; network engineering is a good choice. __________________> P.S. this s a good place to come for advice the people here will always try and give you good advice, u should bookmark it right away.

Microcomputer Technologies (FREE) -> Network Engineering and Management ($10/sem, so $20 in total) -> Advanced Network Engineering and Management (FREE)

Microcomputer Technologies
    There are two tests for the CompTIA A+ Certification (JKO-701 and JKO-702). Each test will cost $91.50.

Network Engineering & Management
    ICND 1 (640-822) required (CCENT Certification). The cost for this exam is $62.50 or $150.00 depending on
    course work.

Adv. Network Engineering & Management
    ICND 2 (640-816) required (CCNA Certification). The cost for this exam is $62.50 or $150 depending on course
    work.

So, the classes itself don't cost much, but man... those exams.

Also, I never really thought much about it being a "backup," thanks for that.

And yes, bookmarked :)
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kawaiiii wrote: »
    Microcomputer Technologies (FREE) -> Network Engineering and Management ($10/sem, so $20 in total) -> Advanced Network Engineering and Management (FREE)

There are two tests for the CompTIA A+ Certification (JKO-701 and JKO-702). Each test will cost $91.50.

ICND 1 (640-822) required (CCENT Certification). The cost for this exam is $62.50 or $150.00 depending on
    course work.

ICND 2 (640-816) required (CCNA Certification). The cost for this exam is $62.50 or $150 depending on course
    work.

I paid ~$280 for the A+ (both exams) and that was discounted! Those are great prices for the exams!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kawaiiii wrote: »

course work.

work.

If I were still in HS and those course were offered, I'd take them all right now.
  • Options
    Oh, I guess I'm lucky then.