Options

Configuring a Cisco 2800 router for internet usage

WhistlestopWhistlestop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have a Netgear wireless router which has an ADSL connection to the internet. It has a built in DHCP server which leases out addresses to a few PCs in my home.

I'd like to know is it possible to connect my newly acquired cisco 2800 router to my phone line as it has a connection on the rear called ADSL? then connect my netgear wireless router to it via one of the ethernet ports. Would i need to disable DHCP on the netgear router and the set up a dhcp pool on the Cisco router? ensuring i exclude leasing out 192.168.0.1 which is the IP for the netgear?

any ideas much appreciated. thank you.

Comments

• Options
    vasyvasyvasyvasy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can configure the Cisco router to be the connection to the Internet, using its WAN ADSL card.
    From there, you have two options:

1. Keep the Netgear as a wireless router, inline
    - configure Cisco ADSL with the ISP details
    - plug Netgear's WAN port into the Cisco router ethernet port and give it an IP of 10.0.0.2, with a gateway of 10.0.0.1
    - configure Cisco ethernet port with an IP of 10.0.0.1
    - configure NAT on the Cisco router
    - the DHCP is still configured on the Netgear

ISP <--> ADSL(ISP details) Ethernet(10.0.0.1) <--> WAN(10.0.0.2) LAN(192.168.0.1) <--> local LAN (pool: 192.168.0.2-254)

CISCO Netgear - router mode & dhcp server

2. Make the Netgear a wireless bridge (between its LAN ports and the wireless interface)
    - configure Cisco ethernet with an IP of 192.168.0.1
    - configure Netgear's LAN port with an IP of 192.168.0.2
    - leave the DHCP on the Netgear, serving the DHCP clients: 192.168.0.3->192.168.0.254, gateway: 192.168.0.1, dns: whatever
    - plug Netgear's LAN port into the Cisco router ethernet port

ISP <--> ADSL(ISP details) Ethernet(192.168.0.1) <--> LAN(192.168.0.2) <--> local LAN (pool: 192.168.0.3-254)

CISCO Netgear - bridge mode & dhcp server
  • Options
    dellpedellpe Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ADSL configure on NE40E-X3 SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface atm interface-id

4. ip address IP-address

5. pvc [name] vpi/vci

6. protocol ip IP-address

7. vbr-rt peak-rate average-rate burst

8. encapsulation {aal5autoppp | aal5ciscoppp | aal5mux | aal5nlpid | aal5snap}

9. exit

10. dsl operating-mode {ansi-dmt | auto | itu-dmt | adsl2 | adsl2+}
    or
    dsl operating-mode {etsi | auto | itu-dmt | adsl2 | adsl2+}

11. no shutdown

12. exit

13. exit
  • Options
    WhistlestopWhistlestop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    vasyvasy wrote: »
    You can configure the Cisco router to be the connection to the Internet, using its WAN ADSL card.
    From there, you have two options:

1. Keep the Netgear as a wireless router, inline
    - plug Netgear's WAN port into the Cisco router ethernet port and give it an IP of 10.0.0.2, with a gateway of 10.0.0.1
    - configure Cisco ethernet port with an IP of 10.0.0.1
    - the DHCP is still configured on the Netgear

ISP <--> ADSL(ISP details) Ethernet(10.0.0.1) <--> WAN(10.0.0.2) LAN(192.168.0.1) <--> local LAN (pool: 192.168.0.2-254)

CISCO Netgear - router mode & dhcp server

2. Make the Netgear a wireless bridge (between its LAN ports and the wireless interface)
    - configure Cisco ethernet with an IP of 192.168.0.1
    - configure Netgear's LAN port with an IP of 192.168.0.2
    - leave the DHCP on the Netgear, serving the DHCP clients: 192.168.0.3->192.168.0.254, gateway: 192.168.0.1, dns: whatever
    - plug Netgear's LAN port into the Cisco router ethernet port

ISP <--> ADSL(ISP details) Ethernet(192.168.0.1) <--> LAN(192.168.0.2) <--> local LAN (pool: 192.168.0.3-254)

CISCO Netgear - bridge mode & dhcp server

Thank you for the advice. I do have a few more questions.Sorry for asking so much. I think i'll focus on method one.

On my Cisco 2821 router there is are gi0/0 , g0/1, an ATM and a serial 0/1/0 port. You mentioned plugging a cable in between my Cisco to netgear router.So does an ethernet cable plug into the netgear's WAN port with the other end connecting to one of the gig ethernet ports? how do I configure cisco router with ISP details? My ISP gives me a dynamic IP address not a static one. On my current Netgear DGN 2200 router I am using PPPoE and the details such as IP address, DNS server IPs are already populated automatically which i assume it got dynamically. There is also a section for username and password on my netgear settings and this is my account username + password for my ISP.

When you say give Netgear wireless router an IP of 10.0.0.2 is this the same one for management purposes? i.e. the one i'd use to access it via HTTP? there is an option on my Netgear to create a static router...i assume this means I can point it to 10.0.0.1 as you mentioned?