Options

Router 2620 for preparing CCNA? is this enough

zasidzasid Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys,

I am based in UK, I have started to prepare for my CCNA exam and have very limited knowledge so I wanted to ask you experts this question.

If I buy this router cisco 2620 one router only is that going to be enough to prepare for CCNA exam ?

at the moment I have 2 laptops and since being on a very tight budget I was wondering if I could buy this one router will that be enough for prepration ?

Thanks-Z

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, my view you need a couple more to do ACLs, dynamic routing, and NAT. One thing is the 2600 series do not support IPV6, so try to get a simulator like Packet Tracer
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    At a minimum, you will need two routers and two switches. If money is tight, look for a pair of 2610 / 2611 routers and a pair of 2950 switches. These will support IOS 12.4, and you will be able to route between two separate networks. 1 router is not enough to do more than experience the CLI. If you truly want to acquire your CCNA, exposure to equipment, and the CLI, is imperative. At this point you will have to make some choices with regards to your future, maybe you have some things you can sell, work some overtime, sell some blood, etc. to get the funds for the bare minimum. There are some tools such as GNS3 or Packet Tracer that fill a niche, but equipment seems to be the ticket for members of this board.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wgroom wrote: »
    At a minimum, you will need two routers and two switches. If money is tight, look for a pair of 2610 / 2611 routers and a pair of 2950 switches. These will support IOS 12.4, and you will be able to route between two separate networks. 1 router is not enough to do more than experience the CLI. If you truly want to acquire your CCNA, exposure to equipment, and the CLI, is imperative. At this point you will have to make some choices with regards to your future, maybe you have some things you can sell, work some overtime, sell some blood, etc. to get the funds for the bare minimum. There are some tools such as GNS3 or Packet Tracer that fill a niche, but equipment seems to be the ticket for members of this board.

The simulators, like Packet Tracer DO NOT SUPPORT, for example the "log" switch on access control list lines. And log is a
    Cisco objective. So I would get the hardware

Also, this website seems weird. The typing is slow and some character skip
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the CCNA, GNS3 is more than enough. Its almost enough to the CCNP except for a few switch features. Check out gns3vault and see all the labs they have there. For a guy on a tight budget gns3 labbing a lot of reading and memory drills should do the trick.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    wgroom wrote: »

2610/2611 don't support 12.4
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    zasidzasid Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.