Annoyed at salary history question...

2»

Comments

• RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just say I'm unwilling to discuss salary history. My last two positions (including current) have been public record.
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    The countries that I have worked in here in Europe have had it pretty common that you'll have to provide your expectations, but I've never heard of telling a prospective employer about your previous salary. That sounds absolutely nuts.

I have had no problems with telling head hunters about my previous and current salaries but I've always also told them my expectations and never had any offers below my minimum. However there is no way a prospective employer will get to hear anything other than my minimum. They have no business knowing.

Here in Sweden it is very common to provide your social security number all over the place though. I'm not sure I like that development much...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,081 Admin
    Realize that there is no legal or regulatory requirement (in the USA) for job candidates to provide their salary history. This is an attempt not to place a new employee much higher in the job's salary range than they were previously making at their previous job. This saves departmental budget, leaves room for the employee's salary growth (raises), and allows employees to be happier in their new job by making more money than their previous job.

Of course, an employer can refuse to hire you if you don't provide your salary history too. I only provide my minimal salary expectations and ask the salary range for the job classification, and the HR person usually tells me.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Priston wrote: »
    I love it when companies require you to tell them your previous salary, then make you sign an agreement saying you won't tell anyone your salary.
    Oh my goodness this is right on the money. It's their job to provide the range they are the ones offering the position not the other way around. To avoid overhead first do a phone screening capturing salary requirements, it's that simple. This strategy is so they don't get worked over. It's really simple know the market know the going rate for that position and announce the salary range. Very simple and to the point. Much more professional than asking what did you make. If management found that you were announcing your salary to your peers you would be looked down on maybe terminated. Pot meet Kettle
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tricky situation though isn't it. In my cases the conversation was pretty much over every time I refuse to reveal my current salary. Every time it is a mix between standing my ground and maybe losing out.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    gorebrush wrote: »
    One recruiter has tried to tell me that if I go back to day work (I work shifts) then I would have to drop to 37-42K. I earn 44K now. So why should I move jobs?

Though, this all becomes moot after I've passed CCIE.

Woah you only make 44k with those credentials? :O

Man you gotta push that resume out, NOW!
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Seconded, he should be around 50-65k. Don't forget the dollar/pound conversion.