Options

Am I in the right spot?

jam3s121jam3s121 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am about to graduate a community college with a associates of science degree in something I have no real interest in doing, I've decided that I should of gone after something IT related like I originally wanted too before having my mind changed 2.5 years ago. I kind of had a epiphany when interning at a police department and the dispatch center was having computer issues.. i knew almost instantly what the problem was before the it guy had gotten there.

I consider myself to have a great troubleshooting skills within windows xp/7 as well as hardware knowledge (have built my own pc's and upgraded plenty of relatives as well as backups etc) but little network/switch/router knowledge. About 4 years ago in high school I took a basic networking class, setting up profiles etc but I don't remember much of it.. the stuff about installations, hardware etc stuck more. Is A+ something I want to get first? I ordered the mike meyers book.

Is A+ enough for a entry level job somewhere? Every posting I see requires XX years experience. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, A+ can get your foot in the door somewhere. Having said that, though, many helpdesk/deskside support jobs want additional skillsets, such as an MCSA in Windows 7 or 8.

How long have you been building computers and helping your friends and family? Don't discount that. That can still, for the right employer, count toward the experience requirement.

The big take away for you should be to not view A+ as the end-all/be-all cert. It is foundational, at best. So, take a look around the local job market and see which other certs are in high demand. Do a little investigating as to whether or not those particular certs are ones you would enjoy learning and living. If they are, then you know the next step after A+. If not, then I would strongly suggest reading up on Network+ and Security+, maybe even Linux+. Those will give you a good foundation into networking, security, and server oses, respectively. By the way, even though you may study it, it doesn't mean that you need pursue the certification exams. That is strictly up to you.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I know its not the end all, but it should be the best starting point right? Thanks, Ive been upgrading pc's for awhile.. I put my first graphics card/ram in my own pc around 2004... built my own start to finish in 2008, upgraded in 2010 and built a new one recently. I typically find myself using teamviewer and other programs troubleshooting many friends computers over ventrilo
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

When you put your CV together, highlight the fact that you've remotely troubleshot computer problems. If you can't articulate what exactly you've done, then the prospective employer won't know what you're capable of. To me, it seems like you could easily get a job with Geek Squad or a local mom/pop computer repair shop. That will help with getting to the next level. Also, if you can, volunteer your computer skills to a local charitable organization. That will also give you something to put on your resume.

A big mistake that many people make, especially those just starting out in IT, is to overlook what they've done to help others out. I've done it and am currently going through my work experience in order to highlight everything that I was responsible for, not just what my job description was.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks for your input, I think I could explain what i've done to a employer... for instance I had a friend build a custom computer for gaming two months ago and I told him he needed to set up a few settings for his SSD to run at max performance, he couldn't figure it out and I remoted in. I had another friend who coundn't troubleshoot a reason his display was crashing, I ran multiple stress tests and installed the drivers properly and removed them properly for him and eventually came to the conclusion its DOA. I've parted out a few mid to high end ($1500) custom builds, but I also understand what a buisness pc would probably want too. I am a hardware guy, don't know much about networking but I can really troubleshoot a lot of stuff with my own and other peoples computers from the bios level to windows level.

Anyways, still is A+ something i should try to get going on? I have the amazon gift card cash to buy a textbook for network+ and A+ and my friend said to start there if I'm interested in the field.. those two certs should easily land me a entry level job while I gain more experience he said. Would this be correct?
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I'd say take a look for local job listings in your areas. Helpdesk, desktop support, etc. See what they are looking for on entry level positions, tailor your resume to match them as much as possible, get some hands on experience on whatever they are looking for if possible.

Overall, yes I do believe that someone that spends time reading and learning the A+ or Net+ material and how to apply it in a useful way is setting themselves up for success in entry level IT. These exams are "foundational" and generally prove that someone has grasps on computer desktop hardware and basic networking.

Generally beyond the "foundational" level of the CompTIA exams, employers are looking for someone that also has specific experience with Windows/Linux/Etc. Based on what you're interested in, you might start learning as much as you can about whichever job you are targeting. If the company is using Active Directory for managing their Windows machines for example, try to put some hands on that if you can, understanding how domains work, active directory, user/computer accounts, etc (Most people learn via Virtual machines's with Windows OS and Server OS trials, etc)

I think most of all, like any entry level position....motivation and willingness to learn are important in a prospective employers eyes. Many companies are willing to hire and train the right individual if they are teachable and willing to learn. Demonstrating that by obtaining certifications on your own is a good example of that.
  • Options
    SnackyJSnackyJ Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Even with a few years experience under my belt, studying for the A+ really helped me solidify my knowledge so far.

I was/am weak on networking myself and the A+ study also helped me with getting a better hold on that stuff as well.

As far as your job search, A+ and/or "experience" alone, in a majority of cases, will not get you a job. However the A+ can get you in the door, and your experience should be able to keep you in the running.

It sounds like you have what it takes, so just get the cert and start applying.

If you're in a tough market, volunteer; get some real hands on experience somewhere and try to pad that resume.
  • Options
    thanks, well i bought the book from mike meyers for A+, and will probably get the network+ book soon and start there. I just spoke with a law firm my mom works for and they said they could get me in as a unpaid intern in on the tech team which is about 10 people handling 3 office spots for a team of about 150 lawyers, paralegals, and secretary.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Ahh well best of luck! Lawyers and etc may make you rethink IT...lol ;)