Options

DCPROMO

lAwBoYlAwBoY Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
DCPROMO mean installing Active Directory on the computer?

Comments

• Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes but only on a server (Domain controller Promotion)
  • Options
    spudnik wrote:
    yes but only on a server (Domain controller Promotion)

so tt mean my server when do the DCPROMO will allow me to edit and make changes to the active directory right?

Then what does member server mean? server tt did the DCPROMO is call a member server also
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the server you run dcpromo on becomes a domain controller(not member server) allowing you to make changes via AD.

all servers that you add to the domain then become member servers
  • Options
    spudnik wrote:
    the server you run dcpromo on becomes a domain controller(not member server) allowing you to make changes via AD.

all servers that you add to the domain then become member servers

so am i right to say that

DCPROMO - the server tt run the dcpromo hold a separte same copy of the AD data,

Member Server - use the AD data on the DC,

Both will allow u to make changes to the AD
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dcpromo is a command that either promotes or demotes a domain controller. If you enter dcpromo on an existing domain controller, it will remove active directory. Running it on a member server will build an active directory or replicate it from another one this domain controller is not the first one in the domain.

Any server you add to a domain that's not a domain controller is a member server. Although a member server can still carry out many functions. For example, and dns server does not have to be a domain controller.