Options

CISSP Readiness Assessment

JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been studying for the CISSP for about 2.5 months now. I am taking the exam this Wednesday and am curious to know how close I am to ready, based on the standards and experiences of those of you who have already taken and passed the exam. I feel relatively confident as far as the material in the ten domains, but, I also can't help but feel anxious. I have a B.S. in IT Security, four years experience in the information security field, and have very recently passed both the Security+ and the CEH, which I feel has served as a good base to prepare to study for the CISSP. These are the resources I have used to prepare:

- CISSP for Dummies
- CCCure Practice Questions (Paid Version)
- Skillsoft Practice Questions
- Shon Harris, AIO Practice Questions (McGraw-Hill Website)
- Eric Conrad, Eleventh Hour

I read the entire CISSP for Dummies book, which I felt was a fantastic starting point. I then went through the paid version of the CCCure practice questions and made flash cards for every single item/topic that I did not know, regardless of whether it was the right answer or not. I am able to effectively answer 80-90% of the CCCure questions and my flash cards. I have gone through both the Skillsoft and AIO McGraw-Hill practice questions and scored roughly 75-80% on all of them on the first pass through. I did notice though that, in the AIO McGraw-Hill website resource, there were some domains that honed in on the very technical details and these were the ones that I struggled more with. I hear that there are virtually no super-technical questions on the exam, so I don't know whether to sweat that or not. I have also just finished going through the Eleventh Hour to try and find any topics that I missed or need to review. I feel as though I have done pretty much all that I can do to prepare without my brain completely melting in the process. I intend to try and just rest my mind from this point forward so that I am sharp and focused for the exam, unless anyone has any last minute study suggestions.
Working on: Nothing, finally.

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It honestly sounds like you have covered all of your bases with regards to studying and have the real world experience to accompany the study efforts. I think you'll do great, be sure to let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
    Good luck with exam. I'll be hopefully taking it myself in 2 and a half weeks if I feel I am ready. Let us know how you do, wish you the best!
  • Options
    vasyvasyvasyvasy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are good to go, in my opinion...
    Don't struggle too much on the technical side, if know the concepts and you understand the fancy wording in their questions you will be fine :)

Also, try to take at least 1 break during the exam, it difficult to sit and focus for 6h...
    A good, healthy breakfast is a must, also
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice and good wishes. I will be certain to reply back after my exam regardless of whether the news is good or bad. I went through every single flash card (about 1,000) yesterday and was able to take the item/topic and discuss it with accuracy on over 95% of the cards. I read on these forums that being able to freely discuss the topics in that way is a good indicator of readiness. I am going to do a light overview using the sunflower .pdf this morning and try and just relax the rest of the day.

I also tried to call my testing center three times but have not yet had anyone answer my calls. I am curious to know if I am allowed to bring in a snack and a drink for the exam. Being able to at least take a 5 minute break to eat a snack and a drink would be great. Does anyone know if this is allowed or if it varies by Pearson VUE testing center?
  • Options
    sojournsojourn Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you write up your own flashcards? What application did you use to do this? Or was it done manually? I like your idea of being able to speak freely and want to work that into my own study (Exam booked May 1st.) I wish you good luck - you sound like you are in a good space.
  • Options
    I made the flash cards manually out of index cards. I find that writing them out and then studying them, as a tangible version, has been very beneficial to understanding the concepts. Everyone is different, and I am sure there would be a way to create virtual flash cards as well. The idea is one that I use on all certifications, which builds on the idea that practice questions help learn the topics. Using the practice questions, I create flash cards based on the answer items to include the correct answer as well as the incorrect answers. The thought is to know as many topics and items as possible. By being able to identify and speak to the topic from your own knowledge, you should be able to idenfity and answer any question about that topic, rather than just memorizing one question regarding that topic and hoping it appears on your certification exam in that exact format. Another benefit of having a wider range of topics and items identified would be to eliminate incorrect choices and distractors. If, going into a question I have never seen before, I don't immediately know the correct answer, I can then at least knock out answers that I know are incorrect, which may in itself give further context or lead to the correct answer.

In short, if you use the flash card method, I recommend that you study as many practice questions from quality resources, and legitimately know the topics and all offered items inside and out. Make flash cards based on them. If you can speak to each item individually and accurately, it will remain in your long-term memory and be more easily recalled come time for the exam. I am hoping this all holds true for me on my exam tomorrow.
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    Good luck, I wish success.
  • Options
    I am happy to report that I passed this morning. I finished it in 3 hours and 20 minutes and took no breaks. I honestly did not think it was very difficult, though I can definitely understand how it would be difficult without adequate studying and preparation. My advice and study habits listed above are highly recommended, as knowing the material and being able to speak to as many topics as possible was the difference between passing and failing. Common sense is definitely a requirement for this exam, as well! Thank you all for the votes of confidence prior to the exam!
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Now onto the endorsement process.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratuations! Under 3:30 - you weren't wasting any time at all!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Jonnyg. I hope to be reporting back a pass as well this Friday. Did you find any surprises while taking the test? Did you have many Drag N Drop or Hotspot questions?
    I am doing some last minute practice tests to help me SLOW DOWN while taking the test and breathing exercises so I dont have a brain aneurism at the test center, lol.
    Thanks for sharing your study process and again CONGRATS...now go celebrate!
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have some questions, if you are willing to answer.

1- Did you get questions, regarding "The Orange Book", "TCSEC" or "Cloud Computing"?
    2- How many DragNDrop and HotSpot questions did you see in the exam, and what was their level of difficulty?
    3- Do you think "Shon Harris AIO 6th" and "Eric Conrad 2nd Edition" is enough to prepare for the examination, besides the practice tests?
    4- I've heard that the exam is more about management mind set, rather than technological. How technical were the questions in your own opinion?
    5- The CISSP exam is known to be very wordy and they can easily mislead candidates into thinking otherwise. What do you say about that?

Thanks and Regards
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    zxbane wrote: »
    Congrats! Now onto the endorsement process.

Indeed! Time for the easy part.
    Congratuations! Under 3:30 - you weren't wasting any time at all!

Even though I did not take any breaks, I recommend them. Having said that, I got into a rhythm and state of mind and decided it would be more beneficial to keep rolling through the questions.
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Congrats Jonnyg. I hope to be reporting back a pass as well this Friday. Did you find any surprises while taking the test? Did you have many Drag N Drop or Hotspot questions?
    I am doing some last minute practice tests to help me SLOW DOWN while taking the test and breathing exercises so I dont have a brain aneurism at the test center, lol.
    Thanks for sharing your study process and again CONGRATS...now go celebrate!

The only surprise to me was how well I felt I did in the end. Every single person I've ever spoken to stated they felt like they failed. I felt as though I passed, or if I failed, that it would be extremely close. Also, I wouldn't worry about the new question format. Doing practice questions is the way to go. You will definitely have plenty of time to complete the exam. Practice going slow and really focus on what the questions ask you. Apply common sense to what you've learned from your studies. If you know your material well, you will do well! The best advice is to know the material, but to definitely get a good night's rest and a healthy breakfast. Something I did was take the evening prior off to try and lower my stress and anxiety levels. I did things that I enjoyed doing and ate foods that I enjoyed but normally wouldn't eat. Do whatever lowers your stress. Being in the best state of mind and readiness with confidence is critical and the knowledge you've worked so hard to gain won't do you any good if your brain is tired and groggy and can't recall the information. Good luck! I am sure you will do fine. It sounds like you have worked hard to prepare!
    I have some questions, if you are willing to answer.

1- Did you get questions, regarding "The Orange Book", "TCSEC" or "Cloud Computing"?
    2- How many DragNDrop and HotSpot questions did you see in the exam, and what was their level of difficulty?
    3- Do you think "Shon Harris AIO 6th" and "Eric Conrad 2nd Edition" is enough to prepare for the examination, besides the practice tests?
    4- I've heard that the exam is more about management mind set, rather than technological. How technical were the questions in your own opinion?
    5- The CISSP exam is known to be very wordy and they can easily mislead candidates into thinking otherwise. What do you say about that?

Thanks and Regards

I can't say anything specific regarding the exam contents. However, if you know all of the topics and concepts covered in those two books, or at least 80-90% of them, well enough to speak about them without just regurgitating the facts, then I am sure you will do well on the exam. If you know the material, you likely will not be confused by wording. I have heard people say the exam is impossible or that the questions are misleading or don't have a right answer. I am convinced these people simply did not study hard or intense enough as is required for this exam.

Thank you all for the congratulations and I wish everyone the best of luck who attempt this exam! Hopefully my study advice will inspire others in their CISSP journeys.