Go down with the Titanic or jump ship?

KeroseenKeroseen Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking to solicit a little feedback based on your experiences. I'm currently working as a sub to a prime at a customer site and it has become clear (at least to me) that the customer is looking to replace a number of us with cheaper labor. In truth, I overheard a number of conversations that weren't intended for my ears yet weren't behind closed doors.

In any event, we've recently been asked to "cross train" those who I can only assume will be our replacements. We haven't been given a timeline, per se, so I don't know how long we have, but I'm certain it's no more than 6 months at the most. The question is, do I stick around pretending I don't know what's going on and "cross train" our replacements, or do I jump ship as soon as I can find a new "boat"? I'd like to stick with my sub company that I'm currently working for, but I don't want my early departure to reflect badly on them, if I do choose to leave.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Comments

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    give them the deuces!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Would your company just jump to another contract? If so I would stick since you like your company. If not I say its time to start looking and jump ship when you secure another job.

Something I have told everyone that has ever worked for me "no one is going to take care of you like you. You need to do what is best for you (and your family if you have one)."
  • KeroseenKeroseen Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    da_vato wrote: »
    Something I have told everyone that has ever worked for "no one is going to take care of you like you. You need to do what is best for you (and your family if you have one)."

That's good advice. Thanks da_vato.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do what's best for you. I've been overly loyal to the point of self-sacrifice before, and it's not advised. Jump ship. Only the captain stays with a sinking ship all the way through, and even nowadays that doesn't happen since the top brass aren't even loyal if things go to crap.

Start looking around and don't be afraid to make the first move. Above all, try to be as respectful as possible the entire process.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have found that sometimes hanging in their can actually put you in a better place than if you left. Sometimes the incumbent will bring over 1 or 2 previous employees to help with the transition and knowledge share. Usually you will end up making better than you previously are making. This can be leveraged, you might be able to learn some new technologies. If I had stayed every time the ship was sinking I would have had some really nice opportunities. One of the positions was 100% Unix, that would of been nice.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Depends on your situation. Are you in held in high reguard? Does management know you do work of the highest quality? If so it could an opportunity for you like N2IT said. If you are part of the pack, then it time to start looking. They have already showed you that you are replaceable, so you might as well make there job easier and take care of yourself.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This sounds like an odd plan from management... positions are worth a certain amount... even if you train people to replace you, they will want similar compensation at some point.

Oh well, I agree with most others... jump and jump as soon as you can. You say you like the company, but that company will drop you just as soon as you are no longer beneficial to them... its the world we live in. I am held in high regard where I work and would not be worried about my job had I heard similar rumblings, and I would still jump ship and let anyone close to me in the office know the deal as well.

Thats a dick move on the part of management, Id let em know it. (once you have another job of course :) )
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Jump!! But get another job first.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Thats a dick move on the part of management, Id let em know it. (once you have another job of course :) )

Management has an obligation to get the job done until the very end so don't assume you know all of the ins and outs of this situation. Winds change all of the time and perhaps this situation is dependant upon a few cards falling in place and they don't want to scare everyone until those cards do actually fall in place.

I believe Shodown makes an excellent point. I know for a fact if my company were to fold tomorrow my company would do everything they can to keep my boss and I and probably let everyone else go. Some of this does depend on how your company views you, are you irreplacable or are you just another body?

There is no wrong answer here so long as you make the best decision for you.
  • jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

If they are bringing in new people who are unknowledgeable and cheap and expecting the existing employees to train them so they can replace them... only to save money in the short term (as new employees will eventually want similar money for their newfound skillset)... then yes, that is a dick move plain and simple.

I dont care what their "cards" are.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST ]

I just went through this. They offered me retention to stay around until June, but I'd rather spend the time with my son, as I sacrificed a tremendous amount for that job, and if I was a lame duck, id rather maximize my time with the kid considering that, the next job will probably need me to work night and day as well.

They were going to pay us to sit around and wait for them to finalize a contract with the 3rd party... people started calling off, not coming to work, taking interview calls at their desk... I couldn't justify 1 1/2 hour commute, and working in that environment if we weren't working to improve our day to day...every one cached out... and I put my money on being a stay at home pops for a few months... I've been enjoying my time learning code and watching sesame street with the kid.

It was a dick move, and you have to look out for your best interest.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jump!! But get another job first.

^^^ this

Start looking immediately. Polish the resume, get it out there, and start interviewing diligently.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    lol...is this even a question? If you don't make YOURSELF the priority in your career then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

You know what to do, start putting your CV out there and start getting your exit strategy together.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    If they are bringing in new people who are unknowledgeable and cheap and expecting the existing employees to train them so they can replace them... only to save money in the short term (as new employees will eventually want similar money for their newfound skillset)... then yes, that is a dick move plain and simple.

I dont care what their "cards" are.

Gotcha loud and clear....
  • KeroseenKeroseen Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have found that sometimes hanging in their can actually put you in a better place than if you left.

I've seen that as well with a couple of folks that I currently work with. Usually, they just get moved to a different contract, with a different prime, and different sub company, but ultimately the same customer. Some of them make out better, some of them make out worse. Some of them end up doing the same thing, while others end up doing something totally different.

The folks that will likely replace us are, shall we say, fixed priced... very cheap comparitively, and virtually unlimited in number. They don't have the expertise, but I think at this point, I think the only thing the customer cares about is price.

I've got an interview lined up for this week for a different contract and customer, same company that I've been working for. Hopefully I'll meet the grade, and have good news for everyone by the end of the weekend. Thanks again, folks, for the input.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bounce.jpg
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX