Options

Has anyone taken the BCNP?

Has anyone taken the Brocade Certified Network Professional certification exam and passed? If so, what were your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for raising it, TBickle. I'm interested in it too.
    I've seen some fellow members out here having that cert.
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Didn't realize you posted this thread until after I just did a search and already posted the same question lol.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    I did e-mail Mr. Cannata at Brocade to see if they are going to do a voucher promotion for free certification exams like they did last spring. I will let you guys know when I get a word back from him.
  • Options
    "[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Franklin Gothic Book,sans-serif]We don’t have any voucher programs for BCNP. We do have one for Ethernet fabrics, which you may want to try. You get a free class, and free voucher for the Brocade Certified Ethernet Fabric Professional. It may be worth a look, to get a feel for the latest technology, the hybrid network of IP and SAN. Those in North America that do get certified are eligible for a drawing for a $500 Amazon gift card. If it is not to your liking, please me know. Then I will see what can be done."

Anyone who is interested can pm their e-mail address and I will send them the PDF
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    Here is the grading scheme:

[h=2]Brocade Certified Ethernet Fabric Professional 2013 Exam Topics[/h] The Brocade Certified Ethernet Fabric Professional 2013 exam has these objectives:

[h=3]Theory and Concepts (18%)[/h]
    • Describe the VCS implementations of TRILL
    • Describe the rate-limiting features in a VCS fabric
    • Identify basic routing concepts and how they interact with an Ethernet fabric
    • Identify VDX hardware components support.
    [h=3]Design (21%)[/h]
    • Describe the benefits of using TRILL
    • Describe QoS in a VCS fabric
    • Demonstrate knowledge of various types of link aggregation in a VCS fabric
    • Describe VDX hardware used in the design of a VCS fabric
    • Describe AMPP concepts
    [h=3]Implementation and Configuration (25%)[/h]
    • Demonstrate knowledge of sharing native FC storage with FCoE devices in a VCS fabric
    • Describe the implementation of lossless Ethernet for FCoE and iSCSI traffic
    • Describe how to integrate AMPP into a vCenter environment
    • Demonstrate knowledge how to implement Layer2/Layer3 ACLs in a VCS fabric
    • Demonstrate knowledge how to configure VRRP/VRRP-E on a VDX
    • Demonstrate knowledge how to configure a VCS fabric to connect to traditional Layer 2/Layer 3 switches
    • Demonstrate knowledge how to implement vLAGs
    [h=3]Management (7%)[/h]
    • Demonstrate knowledge of VDX management features
    [h=3]Troubleshooting (29%)[/h]
    • Demonstrate advanced troubleshooting knowledge
    • Demonstrate knowledge how to troubleshoot native FCoE and VCS to FC SAN bridging
    • Demonstrate knowledge how to troubleshoot VCS to an IP network
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    TBickle wrote: »
    Has anyone taken the Brocade Certified Network Professional certification exam and passed? If so, what were your thoughts on it?

I took the BCNP class last spring. A ton of OSPF, rSTP, and BGP was covered in the class. I am mid-way through the CCNP track and I can tell you that the CCNP switch test is more in depth in switching than the BCNP course was. On routing, obviously there was no mention of EIGRP (why would they) but we did cover a bit on IS/IS.
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    I took the test this morning, and can say it is pretty easy compared to CCNP. Then again, I am fresh off my CCNP studies, so I believe it helped me a lot.

To prepare for this test, I used the "BCNP in a nutshell" guide, and took the BCNP practice test on the Brocade site. I only focused on the topics I felt weakest on, and those were mostly vendor specific topics (MLXe). If you have your CCNP, I don't think you should have any problem with this test. Just read the questions very carefully and deduce. Brocade doesn't use Cisco trickery on this exam, and that's a good thing. If you review the BCNP more than once, and focus on what you're weakest in, you should have no problem.