Options

Physical Lab and Study Guide Question

kashmokashmo Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys, just starting my CCNA journey. Purchased Todd Lammle's book (latest edition). He obviously recommends physical equipment if possible, but doesn't recommend the topology or equipment models. I've flipped through the book and see hands-on labs where he uses up to 3 or 4 switches and/or routers. Looks like to be prepared to cover all labs in his book with physical equipment (which I also prefer), I would need no less than four routers and 4 switches which is impractical. So, if I get physical equipment, something like two 3560 switches and three 1811 routers, will they be useless for many of the labs, hence putting me in a position where I have to just make up scenarios to use them?

Or, is there a different study guide that is highly recommended that utilizes a lab about the size that I mentioned? Just to reiterate, don't want to spend hundreds on a lab that doesn't fit the hands-on exercises of my study guide. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Hi, for CCNA you can either get by with Packet Tracer (that you can get IF you are part of Cisco Academy for example through your college) OR with GNS3 if you have legal ways of getting ios images OR with basic 2950 switches that don't cost more than $25 each If you shop around and basic 26xx series routers that also don't cost more than $30 normally.

As far as labs, you'll see different topology configurations, but for CCNA it's pretty basic stuff. Layer 3 switches come into play later on, and POE switches come in handy if you want to go to Voice route.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.