Options

Cat6

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Anybody have any recommendationt and pricing on Cat6 for in wall wiring for wiring a home. 1000ft?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

monoprice.com

Cat 6 Ethernet Cables - 1000ft Bulk Cable - Monoprice.com
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Cool...what about this one from eBay?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121171846098
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Go for it, looks like Cat6 to me. ha

• Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    You are going to need a repeater for 1000ft patch cable since they are built for max 100ft.
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    330 feet, 100 meters...
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    sizeon wrote: »
    You are going to need a repeater for 1000ft patch cable since they are built for max 100ft.

When you buy in bulk..you break it up into what you need. Anyhow, limit is 100m, not 100ft. Depends on the standard you are utilizing, 10/100/1000BASE-T or 10GBASE-T, which is then 55m.
  • Options
    I am quite sure he plans to custom make cables within applicable lengths and not use one 1,000ft run. lol

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i 2nd monoprice, best place for cabling, would not trust ebay
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I would choose monoprice over ebay any day......
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Yeah I think I am going to go with monoprice since the one from eBay is CCA and monoprice is better quality. And indo not plan on making a 1000ft patch cable lol. I am doing runs in my house.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    sizeon wrote: »

False..
  • Options
    cool. What about keystone jacks, a in wall panel about 42 inch....and a patch module for cat 6 to fit about 24 cables....where are the best deals some of you have gotten...
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    may i ask if there is any certain reason u wanna use cat6 cable given the fact it's lot more expensive than cat5e?
  • Options
    Its not a whole lote more expensive than cat5 and I can afford it so its no big deal. And sooner or later and I believe sooner cat5e will become obsolete and cat6 is what will be used so why not future proof it?
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to suggest if it is your own home , why not add some LC to LC multi mode fiber it is cheep and capable of 10 gig transfer. Here is an example of some. That color Aqua is the newer one it is 50 hz or 60 hz I forget Lot of 10 25M LC LC Aqua Cable Great Price | eBay later you can put some fiber nics in some devices and add a cisco fiber switch that can take sfp trancievers. you can add 10 gig transevers pretty cheep later For Cisco SFP 10g SR 10g Multimode 850nm 300M LC SFP Transceiver | eBay that would be scalable not future proof
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Or you could just stick with cat 6 and still have 10 gig transfer.. sticking with ethernet for ease and affordability
  • Options
    googol wrote: »
    Or you could just stick with cat 6 and still have 10 gig transfer.. sticking with ethernet for ease and affordability
    they have a new netgear switch capable of 10 gig. true
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    multi mode lc-lc fiber would be for the 40gig not 10gig :D
    QSFP-40G-SR-BD
    white-paper-c11-729493-03.jpg
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    That is scalable, a variety of SFP's, FET's XFP's Transvers are available that use LC LC; a 40g, sfp is a valid transceiver to use LC to LC multimode fiber cable. This would be creating a scalable environment. Generally the only requirement is to just change the backplane <- or not, the transceivers, and the nics; then you probably have some software upgrades too, but your cables and switch can stay. Switches can be upgraded but the fiber lc lc can stay.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    If you are truly trying to future-proof your home, go with smurf tube so you can pull whatever is fashionable 10, 20 or 50 years from now. IMO, fiber in the home is a neat toy, but complete overkill*.

* The exception being a home lab, but then you are looking at one or two runs, not a house full of it stuck in the walls.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fiber is pretty pointless in my view inside a house. Cat6a can run 10gig over 100 meters, and has the added benefit of PoE. You need to go Single mode to beat copper these days over the distance you are looking at in a house, and the cost for 10Gig+ optics it is not something your going to need or use.

Like Purple says. Install some trunking so you can pull new cables at a later date and stick with copper.

Question do any of you install fiber much? if you want to use 40Gig over fibre both the SFP and the switch need to support it, now I know there are some cheap (ish) 40gig switches around, but for a decent swithc you are lookign at severy thousand.

Also the aqua color generally indicates the Fiber is 50um/125um OM2/3 or 4. rather than the older 62.5um/125um OM1. However the color is not a standard so you need to check, most people do use Orange for OM1 and Aqua for OM2+ but you do need to check. Also this is another issue with fibre while you can patch between OM2/3 and 4 mostly with out issue you do need to be careful. Put the wrong transceivers on the ends and it will either not work, or you can burn out the optics (costly) and for the like of Cisco and HP using 3rd party SFP can also cause issues. The only benefit of fibre comes if your runs are longer than 100 meters or you need ultra high speed >10gig. CAt7 and 8 are round the corner and cat 8 will run at 40gig and I am not sure of any reason you need this in a home environment. especially considering to make use of it all your devices would have to support it and very few home devices can even come close to being able to saturate a 1gig NIC let alone 10.

So unless you have experience with fibre installs do not use it in your house, you will waste a lot of time and money getting it working and then find rather than the flexible solution you thought you where installing, you actually have a rather inflexible and expensive to upgrade network.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    CAt7 and 8 are round the corner and cat 8 will run at 40gig and I am not sure of any reason you need this in a home environment. especially considering to make use of it all your devices would have to support it and very few home devices can even come close to being able to saturate a 1gig NIC let alone 10.

This is the part that we IT geeks frequently forget: for most home applications we simply don't need the speed. Yeah, it's cool to talk about, but how often is it NEEDED?

You can stream a Blu-ray movie on a 100Mbit connection and have plenty bandwidth to spare. Granted, moving large files is greatly enhanced by a faster connection, but other than moving those big Blu-ray rips around I rarely wish I had a faster home network and I do that so rarely I am not willing to spend the money for anything over gigabit right now.

To get back to the fiber idea, copper is always cheaper to connect, switch and terminate. It's more flexible given the plethora of adapters (there's a balun for almost anything) and it's pretty hardy.

If I were doing a new house (or a remodel) I would run all the copper I could afford (6a for now) with to at least two locations in every room (2-3 cables per location, more for my entertainment center) and one RG6 coax to each location as well. I would prewire for cameras at the doors, smart power switches, control panels and anything else I could think of. Most of these I would leave buried in the walls and only cut out those I plan to use immediately (terminating is expensive and blank wall plates are ugly).

If this were the house I planned to live the rest of my life in I would add conduit to as many of the locations as possible.

As for the OP's question, I would go with monoprice or a local electronics/computer store. Every big city has at least one of these stores that sells it for close to internet prices.
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    If I were doing a new house (or a remodel) I would run all the copper I could afford (6a for now) with to at least two locations in every room (2-3 cables per location, more for my entertainment center) and one RG6 coax to each location as well. I would prewire for cameras at the doors, smart power switches, control panels and anything else I could think of. Most of these I would leave buried in the walls and only cut out those I plan to use immediately (terminating is expensive and blank wall plates are ugly).

If this were the house I planned to live the rest of my life in I would add conduit to as many of the locations as possible.
    Yes!
    I couldn't agree more. 3 cables per room sounds right, many more for entertainment center. Since you are all ready in there you might as well run the RG6 unless you want some random guy drill holes in your walls for $12/hr. PoE cameras all the way! Just make sure your switch supports it.
    As for the OP's question, I would go with monoprice or a local electronics/computer store. Every big city has at least one of these stores that sells it for close to internet prices.
    I would go with the eBay listing. It is half the price and is from a verified seller! What do you guys have against eBay?

What you also might want to consider is color coding your wires. I don't know what your vision/plan is for all of this but I would do a certain color for my PoE camera, another color for my VoIP lines, another for my servers, just to name a few. So if you do go with color coding then the cost saving from eBay is even more necesarry.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tprice5 wrote: »

What you also might want to consider is color coding your wires. I don't know what your vision/plan is for all of this but I would do a certain color for my PoE camera, another color for my VoIP lines, another for my servers, just to name a few. So if you do go with color coding then the cost saving from eBay is even more necesarry.

Personally I would just tag the ends, you can get shrink wrap labels nice and cheap. That way should any thing change can can simple relabel rather then have to pull new cables or let things get messy. I have learnt over the years, the more you try to granulate things the more work it ends up in the long run. Color coded patch leads really only make sense in a data center / server room. for the number of cables you have in a house it is more hassle than it is worth. you either have to have a stack of spare cables so you have the right color in stock. Or you end up one day needing a cable and have to use the wrong color. The colour of the cable makes no difference to the speed, so keep it simple and just label the ends. if you want get coloured labels so its easy to pick out.

Personal if I was wiring a house i would go for CAT6a, bit more expensive but can run 10gig up to 100meters. However this is assuming you terminate correctly. and this it not a case of just neatly cutting and crimping. Installing CAT6 and above requires much more care than before if you want it to meet standards and give you the performance. This means obeying the bend radius during install, not squeezing the cables when tieing them down, only exposing the minimal length of cores possible to terminate and keeping the cables twisted as close to where you punch them in as possible. You also need to use good quality cable/terminators throughout. While Ebay might be cheap it also sells a lot of fake/cheap stuff, and while it might seem to work fine for low bandwidth application running up to 100mbs, you can start running in to trouble if you do start pushing 1gbs and beyond down it.

So CAT6/CAT6a but before you do it read up about it and understand what you need to do to install to the standard, and don't scrimp on it, yes getting a known brand might be 20-30% more expensive, but it has been tested to meet the TIA standards.

Category 6 and 6a cable must be properly installed and terminated to meet specifications. The cable must not be kinked or bent too tightly (the bend radius should be at least four times the outer diameter of the cable[6]). The wire pairs must not be untwisted and the outer jacket must not be stripped back more than 0.5 in (1.27 cm).
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was going to go all out and get Cat 6 or Cat 6a, I'd go with berk-tek.
    Category 6A Cable - Nexans

otherwise I'd use the boxes of cat 5e I got for free
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is the part that we IT geeks frequently forget: for most home applications we simply don't need the speed. Yeah, it's cool to talk about, but how often is it NEEDED?.

Completely true.

I have a 20Mbps cable connection in my home with three labs running (servers, many VMs, etc), and I still have enough left over to stream netflix, amazon, and youtube videos in HD. In the past, I used to think I needed the speed, that I needed the 50Mbps connections, but in reality, I never came close to using what it was capable of and downgraded to save money (why speed more money than I need on something I dont fully use).
  • Options
    mokaiba wrote: »
    In the past, I used to think I needed the speed, that I needed the 50Mbps connections, but in reality, I never came close to using what it was capable of and downgraded to save money (why speed more money than I need on something I dont fully use).

I agree 100%!

I have 20Mbps at home and would have to spend about triple what I do now to go over that (change of carrier, etc), but for me there simply isn't a need. The only time I have issues is with Netflix and anyone keeping up with the news knows that it most likely a bigger pipe is NOT going to fix that issue.

A couple of guys I work are always upgrading to the to the latest "Super-Premium-Speedy" package, spending $100 or more a month for their internet and the most taxing thing they do is watch Netflix while the kids are streaming Pandora or such. I run an office with over 200 users on less bandwidth than they have at home and I have room to spare.

As for the color coding issue, there are only two things I think I would color code: unique devices such as thermostats, cameras, etc. that might be considered infrastructure, but even then I have a hard time seeing the point. The other would be color coding the jacks. If I have three runs to each wall plate I might do something like make the top port red, the middle white and the bottom blue just to simplify troubleshooting down the road. I could do that with colored jacks, but unless I could guarantee those jacks would never be visible my wife would nix that idea.
    What next, what next...