How to prepare to advance my career

M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

So Im currently unemployed after 11 years of steady work. My previous jobs include some after hours help desk, about 8 years of field support (Imaging, software troubleshooting, hardware fixes etc). I currently have an A+ Cert (from 2003) and am pursuing the N+ icon_study.gif through a class offered at a local CalState University. (I know I can self study, but I want to network too)

Basically I have unemployment until December and although I am looking for jobs, I am pursuing a cert. path (N+,CCNA) that I want to have obtained by then. My question is, what else could or should I do to help sell myself come job searching time towards the end of the year? Should I intern? or would a part time tech position at lets say Staples do anything for me? Is there certain skills I should be looking to obtain?

I don't want it to look like I took the year off of work and did nothing, I want to get my career under way and make something of myself. I'm 29 and didn't pursue too much higher education previously because I was making such good money. But I quickly found myself with a capped pay of $21.00 a hr (Not much for California) once I got laid off from a position I had for 8 years. I should add I eventually plan to become a pen tester.

Your advise is very much appreciated, so far this forum has helped me out a lot.

Comments

• TrancewalkerTrancewalker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your best move would be to start looking for full time employment. If you are dead set on taking a sabbatical, at least shorten the time. Having a 1+ year gap on your resume is going to look terrible. Many apps that I have filled out have a space "please explain any gap in work history", and most HR people will look upon this very negatively. Experience also trumps certs in most cases, so you need to make the certs a second priority. Some may disagree, but this is just my opinion.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Sorry to hear about being laid off after 8 years of work. It was probably a good idea to take some time off and figure what to do next. However, I agree with Trancewalker in that you should look for employment first. You have 8 years of IT support under your belt; dust off that resume and start applying for positions. There's nothing saying you can't study for certifications while you're gainfully employed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Verities in regards to obtaining a job first. However, if you plan on getting your Network+ certification. So many companies now are looking for CompTIA certifications more than ever because you see all areas possible with networking not just a specific vendor (Cisco, Juniper, Barracuda etc.) From there, that company can "warp" your mind to their network with their network hardware that they are using. It's better to see the big picture of networking than 1 company's proprietary way of setting up a network. Ex: Understanding how OSPF works and all the specifics. Learning the specifics for setting up OSPF or EIGRP with exact syntax for Cisco they have documentation for that. I hope this helps you out. I'm only a student mind you. I hope this helps you out a bit. Does anyone else agree?
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    M3Cody wrote: »
    My question is, what else could or should I do to help sell myself come job searching time towards the end of the year?

What?!?!
    End of the year?!?

Don't do this. It will be one of the worst mistakes of your life. Get employed ASAP!

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok you guys are probably right. Ive read more employers being "looser" about people being unemployed for some time considering economy, and more people going back to school. So ill start working on getting a job asap. I know I sound crazy lol but with the jobs I think im qualified for its not much more pay over my unemployment. But that's not the big picture (from what you guys are telling me).
  • M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Verities in regards to obtaining a job first. However, if you plan on getting your Network+ certification. So many companies now are looking for CompTIA certifications more than ever because you see all areas possible with networking not just a specific vendor (Cisco, Juniper, Barracuda etc.) From there, that company can "warp" your mind to their network with their network hardware that they are using. It's better to see the big picture of networking than 1 company's proprietary way of setting up a network. Ex: Understanding how OSPF works and all the specifics. Learning the specifics for setting up OSPF or EIGRP with exact syntax for Cisco they have documentation for that. I hope this helps you out. I'm only a student mind you. I hope this helps you out a bit. Does anyone else agree?

Interesting insight, Much appreciated. Makes me feel a little more confident about pursuing the N+. I think your right too, ive been seeing the N+ appear on more job requirements then I had expected
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Sucks that you got let go. You may have to bite the bullet, but at 29 you know a valuable lesson NEVER get comfortable in IT. Family and other life things may show up and slow down your path, but always be moving on the path so there are options.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • shawn2330shawn2330 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im in the same boat boss, plug a long and keep your head up. While youre looking see if there is any certs you can get to keep you sharp and to add to your resume.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Experience will trump certs. You will be much better off finding another job now. Then continue with certs to expand your options.

There is a lot of research showing that the longer you are unemployed the less employable you become.

Good Luck