Options

Enable password help

trout yoghurttrout yoghurt Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys and girls,
I am having a big problems and can't find anything to help with this problem.

So I am trying to set passwords on my switch do what I need to do, have followed the exact instuctions from number of sources to do it. Think great the password word is all set up and then when I exit and try typing in the password I just set it tell me its the wrong password or in their words (bad sector after three attempts of doing it.)

The enable password is winding me up now I'm going into global config, typing enable password (whatever password) enter and then exiting to do it and nothing is happening.

PLEASE IS THERE ANY ONE WHO CAN HELP?! this is just a lab switch to help me with my ccna but I really am having problems with this.

Comments

• Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Can you do a "show running-config" on the switch and post it up for us to see?
  • Options
    Current configuration : 1312 bytes
    !
    version 12.1
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Switch
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    ip ssh time-out 120
    ip ssh authentication-retries 3
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/4
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/5
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/6
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/7
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/9
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/11
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/12
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/13
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/14
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/15
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/16
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/17
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/18
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/19
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/20
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/21
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/22
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/23
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface Vlan1
    ip address 10.1.1.10 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    !
    ip http server
    banner motd ^Cunauthorize access phoibited^C
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
    privilege level 15
    no login
    line vty 5 15
    privilege level 15
    no login
    !
    !
    end
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you type in configure terminal and then type in enable password *password*?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Also you don't have a console password set. Is it the password you input after the banner or is it the password you put after typing *enable*?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Yeah sorry just realised this is show run config without the password on it,

This is it with the password enabled

Current configuration : 1338 bytes
    !
    version 12.1
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Switch
    !
    enable password password
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    ip ssh time-out 120
    ip ssh authentication-retries 3
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/4
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/5
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/6
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/7
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/9
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/11
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/12
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/13
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/14
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/15
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/16
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/17
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/18
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/19
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/20
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/21
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/22
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/23
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface Vlan1
    ip address 10.1.1.10 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    !
    ip http server
    banner motd ^Cunauthorize access phoibited^C
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
    privilege level 15
    no login
    line vty 5 15
    privilege level 15
    no login
    !
    !
    end

Then I go to login

Switch con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

unauthorize access phoibited
    Switch>
    Switch>ena
    Password:
    Password:
    Password:
    % Bad passwords

Switch>

and it wont let me into enable.... so I have to restart the switch to get rid of it.
  • Options
    That's weird man. The config looks good. Not sure what's wrong.
  • Options
    yup. I don't get it I don't know should I reset the switch to factory settings or does anyone else know any other way?
  • Options
    If you can I would look for a different IOS. What is the model of the switch?
  • Options

Cisco WS-C2950T-24 24Port 10/100 Auto Sensing Catalyst Switch C2950T to be honest id be worried to do change the ios though as I'm new to ccna and wouldn't want to mess it up. Is it easy to do and where could I find all that?
  • Options
    The two ways I know is via tftp server or using xmodem (Which is slow, but if you don't have a tftp server setup, it's the easier option). Your best option is to get your hands on a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer. It's a network simulator that will more than suffice for the CCNA. If you really wanna replace the ios though, you will need to download hyperterminal and change the baud rate in ROMMON. Here's a tutorial: Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon - Cisco. You'll also need to find an ios that works with that particular model of switch.
  • Options
    Also, if you ever write memory your config and can't get in because you forgot the password, there's a workaround for that too :D.
  • Options
    hmm there must be a easier way, is there anyone else who can maybe help?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why are you using the "enable password" ? use "enable secret", the "enable password" is legacy, looks like a bug, try the same thing with "enable secret. You could always add the "privilege level 15" under the console which will allow you to login directly to enable mode bypassing user exec mode.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ^^^^^Agree. I was curious why you didn't use enable secret as well.
  • Options
    I have done it in secret as well and it still does the same thing.
  • Options
    What version of Cisco IOS do you have? You can find out by typing in show version in exec mode or not. Here's a program that can make your comp a tftp server (and Many other things) assuming your IOS is configured for and attached to your LAN TFTPD32 : an opensource IPv6 ready TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why dont you save yourself a lot of time and hassle and configure "priv level 15" under the console. If you are 100% convinced that you have entered the password into your config correctly without spaces, have entered the exact same password when logging in and it doesn't work and are really intent in wasting lots of your time on this, then load a new ios onto the switch.
    Easiest method is to ftp image to the switch flash, might have to erase flash if you don't have space, worst case scenario is if new ios doesn't load, then you will need a tftp server to load via tftpboot. Don't bother with xmodem.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    it seems like ur switch is bugging out...i have few 2950 switches but never encountered this problem......first power cycle the switch, check ur caps lock, then check ur number lock on ur keyboard....then try putting in the password again.......

or if none of those work then reboot ur switch..if u r using putty then apply the break command (right click on the header of putty then special command & then break) when u see the message "this system will autoboot in 15 seconds".........

type in flash_init
    then type load_helper
    then type dir flash:
    then type [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]rename flash:config.text flash:config.old to rename the config file
    then type boot to boot the system

[/FONT]Enter n at the prompt to abort the initial configuration dialog

then at the Switch prompt type en to enter enable mode

switch>en
    switch#
    type rename flash:config.old flash:config.text

then copy the config file into memory

Switch#copy flash:config.text system:running-configDestination filename [running-config]?then press enterthis will reset ur switch to the no password state....u can then select a new password.....hope this helps.....good luck with ccna
  • Options
    cheers dude, such a pain in the ass it seems to be the only thing which won't set up is the enable secret/password. It works the show run-config works fine but I just set up ssh and that says it needs the pasword for enable to login in. so long ass so I can't get on enable through ssh.
  • Options
    well update to this all just tried password again and used a password with numbers and longer and it worked, don't ask why its very strange but I have wrote this as quick as possible as I didn't want to try my luck. Thank you for all your help from the lot of you. Without sites like this it would be a very confusing world and could be quite a struggle.
  • Options
    Awesome man! Good luck in your studies!
  • Options
    ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you try to delete the start up config and start fresh?
  • Options
    spawn_of_jorelspawn_of_jorel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good read, I did the the complete wipe xterm upload, not fun, learned afterwards theres a way to set the baud rate to 115,200.....good luck guys