Thinking of moving on but...

the_technicianthe_technician Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I have been in my role for a few years. I have learned alot and contributed alot. The company I work for paid for the certifications I have now. I have been asking around and from the responses I am getting, if I choose to leave, my job will try to penalize me in some way.

The company rules on exams is as long as it is beneficial to your role, they will pay for them (unless you fail a bunch). However, for the few I have, I was able to pass on the first try.

Has anyone been in this predicament before? I don't want to leave and have to pay over $500 back or get a crap reference. If that was the case, I would've paid for the exams myself. I reviewed all of the company documents I have signed since I started and nothing states anything about certifications/education and leaving.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Unless they had you sign an agreement or it is part of a company policy that you agreed to you don't have to any obligations to repay the company.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look through the employee handbook.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why do you think that you would get a negative reference? Unless you work for an employer that has some sort of odd vindictive culture, most companies comprise of business professionals. Additionally, most employers with mature HR will typically only confirm dates of employment, salary, and title and do not comment on performance.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. If you in fact reviewed all docs and can't find anything, you may be OK. If they are intrinsically egoistical, they may come up with some crap to either try to have you pay back, or just make you feel guilty. Again, in the absence of documentation, they are your playing the fear card. Like paul78 said, no self-respecting employer would do this, but there are all kinds out there there' always a possibility.

I gotta ask, what is motivating you to leave? Are you unhappy or just looking to grow professionally? Either way, most of the time switching jobs, even if you have to pay back, is totally worth it.

References from previous jobs are overrated. The dates/salary/title thing paul mentioned is prevalent. No need to worry about this.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just make sure there isn't a policy in place for payback within a time period. Otherwise I wouldn't sweat it, most companies spend a lot of money on training whether they choose to recognize the months it can take for someone to really be 100% at their job. A couple cert exams really shouldn't be a big deal unless you started there 3 weeks ago, took all the certs and then quit.
  • the_technicianthe_technician Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read the employee handbook and other documents I signed when being onboarded years back. Nothing mentions certifications. It is I guess an "under the table" bonus the company does. So I guess I should be ok. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

As far as why I am moving on....to grow and learn more. The role definitely has it's ceilings with experience and pay.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You probably don't have much to worry about then. icon_thumright.gif Good luck in your job search.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Companies that are willing to pay for certifications realize that keeping IT staff up to date is just a cost of doing business. Unless you signed something agreeing to being penalized for leaving, you have nothing to worry about.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As everyone else has said, you should be fine since you didn't specifically sign something saying you would either pay them back or stay for a specified period of time. I definitely understand your desire to move on to a position with more growth potentially, especially since you have been there a few years. Best of luck with your new search and be sure to keep us posted when you find the next job.