Options

2 different mac addresses?

White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
This is the Boson CCENT lab sim that I used for a problem.

In this problem, you need to find the mac address for the router, fa0/0.

If I issue the show interface fa0/0 command it lists the mac address etc.

If i list the show mac-address-table command the mac address is different then what is shown in the previous command for the fa0/0 interface.

Why is that?
"The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Show interface will show you the mac-address of that particular interface where as show mac-address interface will show you the MAC address of the interface as well as the other mac addresses that are being dynamically learnt on that interface.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    atorven wrote: »
    Show interface will show you the mac-address of that particular interface where as show mac-address interface will show you the MAC address of the interface as well as the other mac addresses that are being dynamically learnt on that interface.

I understand that, but in this scenario the fa0/0 interface had a different mac address in the show mac-address-table command then it did in the show interface command which I thought was strange.

They should be the same right?
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Show interface will show you the mac of the NIC of the switch. Show mac-address-table will show you the information pulled from the device connected to that port of the switch. If you do a sh ip arp, you can map that mac to its IP.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com