Options

Cisco 2950 Switch - Is this correct?

glen4cindyglen4cindy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I know very little about Cisco, probably nothing! I picked up a Cisco 2950 24 port switch, and I was wanting to make sure the previous config was cleared from the previous user, and learned a valuable lesson! "Be SUPER careful about what commands you issue at the '#' prompt"!!!

I ended up erasing my flash! So, I spent hours searching and searching and finally found the correct image and found out I needed to use Xmodem to restore the image back to the switch. I was able to reboot the switch by following some directions, but, the boot process looks a little different. Here is what I see when it boots:

C2950 Boot Loader (C2950-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(11r)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Mon 22-Jul-02 17:18 by XXXXXXXXXX
WS-C2950T-24 starting...
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0d:29:XX:XX:XX
Xmodem file system is available.
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 4 files, 1 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 3726848
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 4014592
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 6 seconds.
...done initializing flash.
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4
Loading "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"...###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################

File "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x80010000
executing...

I used "copy xmodem: flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin" successfully got it loaded, then used the command:

boot flash:2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin to boot the switch for the first time after I loaded the image.

So, is there anything more I need to do, or is this a permanent configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks good so far, you're basically following some of the same procedures as if you were doing an IOS upgrade. The directions for that are here,

Upgrading Software Images on Catalyst 2950 and 2955 Series Switches Using the Command Line Interface - Cisco

You might want to add a
    boot system flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    to your config, but if you don't, the switch will search for a valid image to boot from.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Once you load the IOS onto flash and reboot it, it'll still be there. It is stock configuration though. No commands input. Until you configure it yourself, it will act as a hub (Without the single collision domain though)
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Thanks so much!

Right at this point, I did the following to assign a static IP address to the switch:

configure terminal, interface vlan 600 ip address 192.168.2.120 255.255.255.0, exit, ip default-gateway 192.168.2.1, end,

show running-config [to confirm]

copy running-config startup-config

However, when I attempt to ping 192.168.2.120 I get "Destination host unreachable", so, I'm not sure if it's an issue with just having a stock config running or of something else is going on.

Everything I can find about assigning a static IP (since I don't have a TFTP server, which it seems like would be required for the switch to acquire it's own DHCP address) is done the way I am doing it.

My primary desire for it is HAVE an IP address is for Web Administration.

Thanks once again! :)
  • Options
    ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have an IP assigned to vlan 600 for the switch, but you still need to assign vlan 600 to an interface. You can assign the vlan on the interface that is connected to your router (or what have you) with:

#configure terminal
    (config)#interface fa0/1 <---or whichever port is connected to 192.168.2.1
    (config-if)#switchport mode access
    (config-if)#switchport access vlan 600

Or instead of vlan 600, you may just try assigning an IP address to vlan 1 since all ports are default to that. This should help get you a bit more connectivity. As far as web administration, I personally don't recall a web interface with that model & IOS (but I could be wrong).
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congratulations - You now know more about Cisco switches than a competing applicant who got his CCNA without a physical home lab! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though, it's scenarios like this that made me glade I bought a few used 2950's rather than simply memorizing commands for my CCENT/CCNA exams.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glen,
    firstly, looks like you are doing well in your studies! Second, is the device you're using to ping using dhcp or static assignment? Is it in the 192.168.2.0 /24 subnet? Also when you're saving the config, rather than doing copy running-config startup-config, write memory is the identical command. Or for your convenience, wr :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Reibe wrote: »
    You have an IP assigned to vlan 600 for the switch, but you still need to assign vlan 600 to an interface. You can assign the vlan on the interface that is connected to your router (or what have you) with:

#configure terminal
    (config)#interface fa0/1 <---or whichever port is connected to 192.168.2.1
    (config-if)#switchport mode access
    (config-if)#switchport access vlan 600

Or instead of vlan 600, you may just try assigning an IP address to vlan 1 since all ports are default to that. This should help get you a bit more connectivity. As far as web administration, I personally don't recall a web interface with that model & IOS (but I could be wrong).

Ok, thank you. So at this point, I erased the nvram because I had tried to use vlan 1 the first time, and then read that it might not be a good idea, which led me to vlan 600. The commands to remove vlan 600 did not seem to be working, so, I erased nvram to start over.

First thing that seems to happen is I get the question do I want to go thru configuration, and I type yes, and then a second configuration question comes up but blows past so fast I do not have a chance to answer it.

So, the switch did pull an IP from my router, but, then, it keeps trying to pull all sorts of other config files from my default gateway and fails. But, it did appear to pull this:

interface Vlan1
    ip address 192.168.2.172 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache

And my ping result:

C:\Users\DadsLaptop>ping 192.168.2.172

Pinging 192.168.2.172 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.2.172: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.172: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.172: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.172: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.172:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 13ms

C:\Users\DadsLaptop>

But, I sill cannot browse to the CMS which should be 192.168.2.172:184.

Thanks for all the help so far. It has been greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Congratulations - You now know more about Cisco switches than a competing applicant who got his CCNA without a physical home lab! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though, it's scenarios like this that made me glade I bought a few used 2950's rather than simply memorizing commands for my CCENT/CCNA exams.

AGREE WITH THIS 1000% !!!!! Lot of folks here say they only need Packet Tracer to pass. I have three switches and 5 routers and I enjoy constructing crossover, straight through and console or two cable.

Thanks
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    name the VLAN also..i.e. mgmt@native
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand this.

Do I do this?

Switch# configure terminal
    Switch(config)# vlan 1
    Switch(config-vlan)# name test1
    Switch(config-vlan)# end
  • Options
    glen4cindy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand this.

Do I do this?

Switch# configure terminal
    Switch(config)# vlan 1
    Switch(config-vlan)# name test1
    Switch(config-vlan)# end

You got it. And for your access vlans, you name them too and you will see them "come alive"

vlan 20
    name student
    vlan 30
    name faculy

int range fa0/4 - fa0/10
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 20

the above are examples
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a TFTP server, you can just download one from SolarWinds or Certificationkits website.