Options

Certification Roadmap

TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
This will be 100% your opinion. I would like some insight on what certs I should get. I will be taking my A+ in about 3 weeks. I am interested in networking and security. I would like to get meaningful certifications for my last two years of high school. I am planning on doing Network+ over the summer and testing during first 9 weeks of my Junior Year. Where should I go from there. I want insight from people who have jobs with networking and security, so I can help shape my idea. I have thought about Security+ and CCNA, but I'm not sure where I want to go.

Comments

• Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have any input on where you should go, but be sure to plan accordingly for when your certifications expire and which ones you want to pursue in the future to renew them. Many certs only last 3 years until they need to be renewed which in your case would be shortly after high school, so unless you can renew them by advancing further, renewing them, or doing other certs, it'd be a waste of money to certify and have them expire before you get any use out of them.
  • Options
    TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. CCNA will renew A+ and Net+ while Security+ renews all CompTIA exams listed. And CCNA Security renews all exams listed in the last sentence.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it would be a wise decision to study for and obtain both the Network+ and Security+. At that point, you can go the Cisco route or you can branch out elsewhere, just depending on your specific interests and goals.

This may or may not help you, but I recommend you play around with the CompTIA Roadmap.

CompTIA Career Pathways
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)