I really need your guys' advice

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
I really need your input on something. I've enrolled into a program at my local school (BCIT), and the program is CIT . I entered this program because I wanted to become a Network/System Administrator, and not a coder. I'm just about wrapping up the first year of the program, and so far it's pretty much been nothing but coding. I'm really struggling with my coding courses, and I really fear that I'm going to fail the more advanced ones come term 3 and term 4. On the other hand, I'm absolutely acing my networking and administration courses.

What I want to ask you is this: I currently have a BA in history, an A+ certification, and a Network+ certification (2 really basic certs, I know). (But, I'm also studying for the CCNA on my own, and I'm going to study for the MCSA (windows server 2012) after I complete the CCNA. So, do you think I might be better off just finding an entry-level position and working my way up while obtaining these certs, or should I just stay in my program, and risk failing my coding courses.I'm only asking because, like I said, I'm afraid of failing my coding courses. But, I also feel that I haven't learned much in terms of network/system administration work. I really feel that what I'm teaching myself while studying for the CCNA and MCSA has been 10x more useful for my future career.

Thanks, a lot!

I should note, that I have some minor IT work experience. I was the pseudo tech-person at my former job. I helped install and set up the LAN, and I resolved all in-house IT issues regarding Microsoft office, outlook, and any internet-connection problems. I also helped administer windows server 2008 by controlling the database on it with security privileges.

Comments

• White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    I've found experience is king in IT.

If it were me, I would start applying immediately while continuing to study for certs and taking either part time or online classes.

If your failing classes I would get a tutor or speak to your teacher about the problems your having. It sounds like you may have the wrong major as well, I'm majoring in information security and have taken (1) entry level coding class which was quite some time ago.

Good luck with CCNA icon_thumright.gif
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just want to note that I'm not failing my courses. I'm just struggling with the coding classes. In only afraid I'm going to fail. Also, it is a two year diploma program.

Not sure if it matters, but I am 28 years old, so I don't really want to switch programs at this point. Even though it's not IT related, I do have a university degree in history. I really just want to decide wether I should just look for work and study on the side, or finish the last year of my program, despite being disappointed with it thus far.
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    RedGaiter wrote: »
    I just want to note that I'm not failing my courses. I'm just struggling with the coding classes. In only afraid I'm going to fail. Also, it is a two year diploma program.

Not sure if it matters, but I am 28 years old, so I don't really want to switch programs at this point. Even though it's not IT related, I do have a university degree in history. I really just want to decide wether I should just look for work and study on the side, or finish the last year of my program, despite being disappointed with it thus far.

Well, as someone at the age of 27 who is finishing up their associates degree I wouldnt say that changing your major this late is a bad thing.

There are quite a few members here who have started their IT careers i ntheir late 20's including myself although I have been in IT for some time.

If your half way through your program then I would tough it out.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Hey man,

My current job is a IT manager (28 years old) and I do more hands-on than what a certification teaches you. I manage every aspect of the company in regards to IT: network, servers, sonicwalls, adtrans, barracuda, hp procurves, tier 2/3 support, on top of on call support while maintaining a 2008 R2 network. I've only been really in the trenches doing this for the past 2 1/2 years. It was a steep learning curve but I trusted my A+ and Network + knowledge and it's helped me grow quickly.

I only have a A+ and Network + so far but working on Security +, and CCNA, for now. Will be done a few months. I took the classes for Network +, and CCNA 4 years ago in college but never took exams....

I agree with the above posts, experience means more than certs. But you have a A+, and Network+, you should be fine with a entry level help desk and/or network admin role.

Go for it!
  • My Other SelfMy Other Self Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your situation sounds a bit similar to mine. I've taken a lot of classes at my community college to the point I almost have an AA, but I have the mindtrack of a history major (I'm very much a writer and analytic). You do have a leg up in that you have your A+ cert, which I am currently studying for.

From the research I've done, an IT-related degree doesn't mean much if anything in regards to actual experience. That speaks volumes. Perhaps tailor your current position to those you want to apply for and go from there.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Your situation sounds a bit similar to mine. I've taken a lot of classes at my community college to the point I almost have an AA, but I have the mindtrack of a history major (I'm very much a writer and analytic). You do have a leg up in that you have your A+ cert, which I am currently studying for.

From the research I've done, an IT-related degree doesn't mean much if anything in regards to actual experience. That speaks volumes. Perhaps tailor your current position to those you want to apply for and go from there.

I'm actually tailoring what I want to do to the certs I'm going for now... I've found that I love networking and not so much systems. So I'm moving towards networking and getting my CCNA and perhaps my CCNP down the road. I want to get my MCSA/MCSE in a year or so, since that cert is a lot harder than I thought considering I just took the 70-640 and failed.

My biggest problem is focus; I have ADD and I tend to read a few books at once. Like I read the Security + and CCNA book twice over the summer and for whatever reason, probably because I'm a fruit loop, decided to read the 70-640 book three times and then take that exam without taking the Sec + and CCNA exams, lol! So this is why I'm focusing now! ... one plus is my job is willing to let me get certified and pay for the exams even though I'm sure they know I could move on later on...

But you should get your basic CompTIA exams and go from there. I recommend A+, and Net + for entry level; networking comes in handy so much it's nuts....
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Whitewizard has hit on the nail. You could also do as they said and go for something now, I can tell you this much I have no certifications and working on them now as we speak, but you just have to look around. I am and so far got one call about something, didn't pan out but doesn't mean something will not later on. Keep your head up and keep studying and get that exp. Your not too old. I am 41 and trying to break into the field now.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am 41 and I been working on my degree since I was 28. I am working on my master now. If you do not like the program look some other college. You can get a second Bachelor without taking all the core courses.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.