Odd Win7 registry edit

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I occasionally have to setup a PC at work that needs to autolaunch into windows, then into a certain program. We have a registry key that we add the domain, username, and password too then run it. It will state that the edit was successful.

I reboot the PC, but instead of auto logging in it goes to the normal login screen. Once again, I log into the PC with the same account as the first time run the key with the same values as before and reboot...and it will autolaunch every time after that.

Why do I have to edit the reg twice, every time? Is that a quirk of windows or a security feature?

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bump, new image rolled out today...same old problems.
  • daskewdaskew Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have experienced the same issue while configuring an account to automatically log in and launch Internet Explorer after login. I created the following entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon:
    AutoAdminLogon=1
    DefaultUsername=ad\username
    DefaultPassword=password
    DefaultDomainName=AD
    ForceAutoLogon=1

After logging out and confirming that the account specified in the entries above automatically logs in, I created a string value named "Shell" in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and changed the value to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe". In between the first and second time set of registry entries or after adding the second set of registry entries, if I log out, the account will automatically log back in. However, as soon as I reboot the computer, I have to manually log in using the account and add the DefaultPassword and change the value of ForceAutoLogon back to 1. From there on, if I reboot, the account will automatically log back in.

Maybe someone can chime in on what causes this.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So its not just our image? Good news, I guess...we broke a few suites of software with this newest image anyways lol.

I am still learning how to modify registry values, so I will ask you: What do you use string values for? I have seen the option in there...but I don't need to break anything else at this point.