Options

Please Critique My Resumé

My Other SelfMy Other Self Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Please see post #8 for my most recent updated resumé.

Below is my resume. I've updated it to reflect what I'm looking for.

(Sorry, I had to screen cap it and save it in MS PAINT since I can't upload PDF or DOC files right now)

The issue I'm running in to is I've done so many different things in my current position. I'm having difficulty trimming things or what specifically to put in since I'm not sure what IT professionals are looking for.

In regards to the education experience, I have none. Just common knowledge. However, my job now as well as others in the past have definitely prepared me for a help desk position. As of now I want to eventually get in to networking, but you need to start somewhere.

Not sure if this matters or not, but the positions are not local. So, even though I am internal, the applicant pool may cater to locals (I'm willing to relocate since I have no permanent ties to where I currently live).

I appreciate any critiquing, whether it be formatting issues or what I need to add or take out. It's too difficult for me to condense this down to one page, unfortunately.

Having sat on panel interviews for the past year, I can't tell you how many different people I've encountered that come in with resumes that are honestly a bit of a joke. I took a class that helped me a few years ago but changing industries is a bit beyond my forté.

I started a thread earlier about my current situation:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/98762-beginning-career-where-do-i-start.html

This is the job description for the position I'm contemplating applying for (within my current company):
Desktop Support Level 2
About This Position

Job Summary:
Responsible for installation and maintenance of less complex hardware/software systems and supporting smaller user groups.

Accountabilities:
• Provides desktop hardware support for the user community. Works on multiple functional systems that tend to be of moderate to high complexity.
• Performs troubleshooting for moderate to high complex hardware, software and system problems. Acts as subject matter expert for at least one device type.
• May be assigned to one or more projects as a project team member.

Specifications:

Experience
Minimum Required:
• Strong knowledge of Windows operating system environment, network printing systems and Microsoft Office modules.
• Solid customer service skills.

Preferred/Desired:
• Healthcare experience preferred
Education

Minimum Required:
• Associates degree or technical institute degree/certificate or 1-2 years relevant experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills, Abilities\
Responsible for desktop hardware support to the user community for functional area(s) and ensure reliability of the devices. Responsibilities include but, may not be limited to the following:
• Responds to incidents, performs diagnosis, executes incident resolution for those requiring medium to high complexity. Utilizes previous experience to reach resolution and will contribute to knowledge management system(s). Escalates issues when necessary.
• Responds to customer requests received via the Service Management application. Fulfills requests of moderate to high complexity. Interacts with the customers in a courteous and professional manner.
• Assists in the maintenance of and enters appropriate data into the device asset management system and the knowledge management systems to capture knowledge and work processes.
• Responds to assigned issues and troubleshoots problems with desktops, laptops, tablets, mobile carts, printers and peripherals, including deployment of new devices. Identifies potential issues that could adversely impact end-user experience and takes corrective action. Participates in low complexity local and enterprise projects. Participates in on-call rotation and provides on-call support.
• Performs proactive maintenance on devices. Participates in the “smart hands” program to assist other IT functional areas when needed.
• General knowledge of Operational Level Agreements (OLAs) and always works within those metrics.
• Day to day interactions with user community and works collaboratively with Business and IT Stakeholders as it relates to Incident Management, Request fulfillment and Problem Management.
• Understanding and adherence to policies and procedures. Contributes to new or modified policies.
• Provides guidance, training and problem solving assistance to other team members.
Thanks again for any and all help.

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take off the references. They will ask for them if they want them.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The format is good, IMO.

Honestly I would lob off 'office skills' 'other employment' and your references. If you have other skills regarding Windows and Networking try to show those in a skills list. That will get you to one page, easy.

I would elaborate on what type of degree you are pursuing in Business Administration at Local Community College. Try to show how your ongoing education in Business Administration is useful in IT versus pursuing education at the same institution in IT.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Change Objective to Summary and rewrite that section accordingly. From what I understand, Objective is now frowned upon.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Excellent tips so far, thank you.

Not sure exactly how to word my summary. Any suggestions?

Other than trimming off the fat there at the end, how does my past experience hold up? Is there wording or anything I need to change to cater to the position I posted?
  • Options
    Here's an updated version. Again, any and all feedback is highly appreciated. I'm looking to post my resume on various job websites today.

I'm guessing my summary may need some work.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would remove references available upon request. Also consider removing the underlines and periods in your headings.

With limited IT experience this is a good start. I would focus your attention on your summary. I'm glad you removed objective as those are usually painful to read. Writing your objective in your summary is fine but this is your chance to tell me in a line or two what you are about and why I might be interested in you. This summary should give me a good feeling about you and want to continue reading.

Can you imagine how many summaries/objectives the HM read saying "I am a motivated person looking to get "insert position" where I can grow my skills....

You have a lot to offer as an individual that you should concisely demonstrate in your summary that I feel like you might be missing out on here. Summaries seem easy because they are just a couple lines but you should use those lines carefully.
  • Options
    Thank you. I took that in to consideration. Not sure what else to touch on without sounding like I'm gloating in regards to a summary. I'm very knowledgeable about computers but obviously don't have any heavy skills in that area.Here's another updated version.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that looks better. Removing the underlines and periods made the formatting look a lot cleaner.

This is your chance to gloat! Don't be bashful or hide your knowledge or experience. I know it can be hard to write about yourself but when I read your resume I want to know all of the best things about you. I won't be able to extract that from dry passive language.

You are heading in a good direction with your summary. My motto on resumes is keep iterating. You need to keep making it 5% better here 5% better there and over time it becomes a stronger and stronger resume.

Try changing "patient accounts" to "client accounts" if you feel that still makes sense.

I don't know too much about you or your IT skills but I would challenge you to take the last line; "Seeking to translate my current skill set in to that of an IT professional." and make it a little bit of a stronger sentence.
  • Options
    Bloogen wrote: »
    I think that looks better. Removing the underlines and periods made the formatting look a lot cleaner.

This is your chance to gloat! Don't be bashful or hide your knowledge or experience. I know it can be hard to write about yourself but when I read your resume I want to know all of the best things about you. I won't be able to extract that from dry passive language.

You are heading in a good direction with your summary. My motto on resumes is keep iterating. You need to keep making it 5% better here 5% better there and over time it becomes a stronger and stronger resume.

Try changing "patient accounts" to "client accounts" if you feel that still makes sense.

I don't know too much about you or your IT skills but I would challenge you to take the last line; "Seeking to translate my current skill set in to that of an IT professional." and make it a little bit of a stronger sentence.
    Thank you. I will continue modifying today. My IT skills are minimal. I can troubleshoot people's computers here in my department (I tend to do that at every office job I've head - I'm always the "go-to" computer guy before we have to call IT to come down). I can map network drives and printers, swap out hard drives, wipe out and re-install Windows, really just your basic stuff. I tinker with computers all the time, but I anticipate on-the-job training to really give me the start I need.

One thing I'm proud of is I'm well-read (I have decent to great writing and analytic skills), and can adapt and learn quickly. I don't know how to really word that without making it sound like I'm totally bragging but I enjoy constantly learning and plan to eventually get my BA or BS.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your latest version looks pretty good. You're selling what you do have which is call center experience and IT aptitude. That along with a good pitch about how you really want to learn should be enough to land you a help desk job. Best of luck!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you. It sounds like it's where it needs to be.

Does anyone have any tips on how to apply for out-of-area positions? I'm looking to move (if I don't get the internal jobs at my current company) and don't know how I would reflect that in an application.

It's always been my understanding that employees are more likely to weed-out people not in the immediate area, and I'm guessing that's even more of the case when you're looking for entry-level work.