CompTIA+ trio (A, Net, Sec), then CCENT and MTA for entry level?

mDZealotmDZealot Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've been lurking these ultra informative forums for a week or so now trying to figure out the best approach to landing even an entry level help desk job for my first time. I'm quite experienced by a normal person's standards with computers - I've been building them and doing basic troubleshooting for around 8 or so years (24 now) and have recently abandoned my continuation of an arts degree (better now than later imo. It was interesting but ultimately a waste of time since I didn't have a passion for it).

I live in British Columbia, Canada - more specifically in the Okanagan which is often referred to as the Brokeanagan due to its severe lack of jobs. Because of this, I want to be as prepared as possible to try and score entry level positions. I want to eventually go the Security/Networking route but understand how important on-the-job experience is. I also understand that loading up on entry and mid level certifications without having that experience could prove useless in landing a job. What I'm not sure I understand is the best route to take. What I've gathered so far is

1. Pass the A+ exam (already have the study guides and practice exams)
2. Study and take the Network+ and Security+ exams.

With that, I should be able to land a help desk position if things go well. Afterwards, the next step in reaching my goals would be to

3. Study and take the CCENT exam
4. Study and take the MTA IT Infrastructure track exams (349, 365, 366, 367)

Then proceed to get the related experience and figure out the required certifications from there (Which I assume would be CCNA, MCSA, etc)

However, is it helpful/necessary to get both the CCENT/MTA and CCNA/MCSA's? Should I get the entry level MTA before applying for help desk positions given the low amount of available job positions in my area?

I'm sure these kinds of questions get asked a lot and I apologize for adding to them (I swear I googled my question about the CCENT/MTA combo but nothing really came up in regards to whether or not it was worth it) but I promise it's very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike.

Comments

• My Other SelfMy Other Self Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I posed a similar question yesterday and I think the consensus is A+ then Net+ are the two best certs you can get to at least get your foot in the door somewhere. Eventually, hopefully through your employer, you can then start obtaining other certs and gain hands-on experience in the process.

I'm planning on Network Admin myself, and just start out is the tough part. Good luck.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sec+ > MTA Security, so skip that MTA if you already have Sec+. Same for Net+ and MTA Networking.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • mDZealotmDZealot Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I posed a similar question yesterday and I think the consensus is A+ then Net+ are the two best certs you can get to at least get your foot in the door somewhere. Eventually, hopefully through your employer, you can then start obtaining other certs and gain hands-on experience in the process.

I'm planning on Network Admin myself, and just start out is the tough part. Good luck.

Yeah I definitely read your thread! Good luck on your journey!
  • mDZealotmDZealot Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Sec+ > MTA Security, so skip that MTA if you already have Sec+. Same for Net+ and MTA Networking.

Okay sounds good - I kind of thought going for both sets might be redundant but you never know! Thanks.
  • TrancewalkerTrancewalker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Start applying now. There are some jobs that are truly entry level, and that you can get with no certs or experience. Otherwise, the cert path looks fine except for MTA. I would think that has little to no market value.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would do A+, CCENT, CCNA, S+. In that order.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd personally skip all the MTAs and focus on the bang-for-the-buck certs to get your foot in the door somewhere. The MTAs are taking entry-level and watering them down even more to pretty much generate more certification industry profit for Microsoft, in my opinion.

A+, CCENT, CCNA, Security+ is a great idea. Network+ if you want to ease your way into CCENT but not cost-effective.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A+ and Net+ will get you in the door. Then you can add Sec+ to round it out. CCENT to CCNA would be next (build on the net+ and sec+) then move to M$ if you want. If you are looking to do just networking then stick with Cisco is you want to be a systems admin go M$. If you want to be a jack of all trades then do both and add in VMWare.

Absolutely do not do MTA's unless you have to. They are a joke for people in the IT field.
  • mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    I'd personally skip all the MTAs and focus on the bang-for-the-buck certs to get your foot in the door somewhere. The MTAs are taking entry-level and watering them down even more to pretty much generate more certification industry profit for Microsoft, in my opinion.

A+, CCENT, CCNA, Security+ is a great idea. Network+ if you want to ease your way into CCENT but not cost-effective.

MTAs are basic knowledge that will assist you later in getting MCSAs. To someone with many years of experience and knowledge in IT they would be useless but for someone starting out they are helpful.

My advice:
    If you are able to attend WGU: take the MTAs for Database and Infrastructure as they all take less than a month to finish.
    -or-
    If you are not able to attend WGU and would likely pay cash for them: Pick up review guides on them, follow the examples and labs within the guide, and use that information to help you with MCSAs.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go in this order

1) Network+
    2) Security+
    3) MTA
    4) MCSA
    5) MIS or CS Degree

I really don't know how valid an A+ is in this day in age. Hardware skills are easily picked up on the job and alot of the info on that test is legacy. Nowadays you dont have to worry about IRQ's or set them on the motherboard (anyone remember that crap?) Building a computer is really not that difficult once you have a little experience and watch a few youtube videos lol.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    eansdad wrote: »
    A+ and Net+ will get you in the door. Then you can add Sec+ to round it out. CCENT to CCNA would be next (build on the net+ and sec+) then move to M$ if you want. If you are looking to do just networking then stick with Cisco is you want to be a systems admin go M$. If you want to be a jack of all trades then do both and add in VMWare.

Absolutely do not do MTA's unless you have to. They are a joke for people in the IT field.

This is what I'm doing since a I'm a jack of all trades IT Manager. I currently support a 2008 R2 network for 900 users in 3 geographical locations and VMware 5.5 but I only got certs from CompTIA thus far...
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with skipping the MTA's, if you want to go the Microsoft route work on the MCSA. If you plan on taking the CCENT and CCNA, I would probably skip the Net+ unless you just want to take it.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )