salary for Network Admin

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anybody know what is the salary for a network adminIstration position in NYC with no experience?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on so many factors. What will you actually be doing? Network admin can mean anything from help desk to server administration to designing enterprise networks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Maybe give out duties and responsibilities, company size, industry. That helps narrow it down.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like Networker said, titles vary company to company. For instance my official title at my current employer is Network Admin and all my team does is routing/switching changes. We don't touch anything server related.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Between 40k and 140k
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    • Oversee day-today operation of networks including hardware/software support
    • Implementation of data connectivity for local area and wide area networks (LAN/WAN)
    • Assists in coordinating special projects included cabling, installation, troubleshooting, and purchasing
    • Analyzes and troubleshoots network logs and tracks the nature and resolution of problems
    • Installs, maintains, and supports the Storage Area Network
    • Configuring, monitoring, and troubleshooting VPN connections
    • Performs daily server tape backups and rotation
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    • Oversee day-today operation of networks including hardware/software support
    • Implementation of data connectivity for local area and wide area networks (LAN/WAN)
    • Assists in coordinating special projects included cabling, installation, troubleshooting, and purchasing
    • Analyzes and troubleshoots network logs and tracks the nature and resolution of problems
    • Installs, maintains, and supports the Storage Area Network
    • Configuring, monitoring, and troubleshooting VPN connections
    • Performs daily server tape backups and rotation

Well Let me ask you this? ...by no experience... what does that entail?

just with this list here I can tell your going to be working with switches (layer 2 and 3) - do you know how to setup vlans, aaa, STP, routes of last resort, etc?- maintaining all network connectivity can be really confusing in the begining - working knowledge will be needed for installations and network drops; it's not as easy as it looks. - reading a network logs correctly can be difficult at times - SAN's are a bit of a interesting ballpark upon themselves and if you have no experience that can be a career change really - as for VPN's I presume this will be done with NIDS like a Sonicwall or Jupider applicance which are also no walk in the park, they take tons of practise to figure out. - daily server backups can be a bit tricky too since you'll need to master off-site rotations and if you use tape backups you gotta be on-top of them if you miss one day it really screws up the backups.

I understand you want to paid appropriately but also be aware when you expect a high salary they expect a higher degree of expertise from you as-well.

But If I had to ballpark a number I'd say 40k to 45k to start off, at this point it's really on-the-job experience really. Since your new to it, the experience alone is worth it for a while.

I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are being offered that job with 0 IT experience take what they offer. Sounds like a great opportunity to the hit the ground running. You don't exactly have a lot of leverage or a current IT job to fall back on.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response