Options

Finally - CCIE RS!

rareairrareair Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, I finally passed my CCIE RS lab a few weeks ago. It was my second attempt; my first was in early December last year. It has been almost 14 months since I decided to go for the CCIE RS certification, and needless to say, I am very happy.

Firstly, I must admit to being a lurker here at techexam. I am not to familiar with the english language, so my confributions here have been slim to none. But I wanted to share my experience anyway, so here goes...:

I started doing Cisco certifications back in early 2009. Did the CCENT, CCNA, and a year later I was a CCNP. I then did the CCSP (CCNP Security), before drifting off into VMWare. My work has primarily been focused on virtualization, so it seemed like VMWare was the best path careerwise. After I while i started feeling the VMWare technology was kind of limited, so late in 2012 I decided to pick up my Cisco books again.

My work as a system admin hardly has any advanced networking, so I almost felt like I started from scratch again. I do a lot of Layer 2 stuff at work, but almost never any Layer 3 or other advanced networking technology. So I picked up my CCNP notes and started there. I even had to freshen up on several CCNA topics, but after I while it came back to me. I was great fun to see that most of the stuff that I learned during my early Cisco studies still stuck with me.

After brushing up on the CCNP topics, I dived into the new CCIE topics, first using Wendell Odoms CCIE Cert guide, and later supplying with more specific literature from the Cisco Website and internet technology blogs. I also had access to some lab workbooks that helped me practicing a lot of the the lab stuff. After about 6 months of studying, I took and passed the Written, and I felt like I could pass the lab any day. How wrong I was.... I started doing practice labs, and soon found out I had a long was to go before I was ready for the real thing. Let me just say - passing the written does not mean you are halfway there. The level of difficulty between written and lab is huge. HUGE! So it was back to the studyroom and back to practicing.

For the lab I used GNS for almost every L3-technology, and I had acces to a couple of 3560s and a buch of 3550s. The physical switches are a must, since GNS don't support L2 (yet). I used Network Visualizer from Routersim for my CCNA/CCNP, but it is useless for CCIE. So I needed physical switches. I also had the chance to combine GNS with VMWare, and this proved useful for QOS and a lot of the IP Services like syslog, snmp, netflow, and others.

In November I booked a lab (remote lab) i London, since this is more convenient than Brussels for me (I am Norwegian).

My first lab experience was overwhelming. I knew after 20 minutes that I wasn't going to pass troubleshooting, so I decided to use the lab a a learning experience, to see how it was set up and how Cisco presented the problems. I tried to solve the tickets, but I also spend a lot of time reading configs and examining the topology. Not to remember it, but to get familiar with the lab situation. When I started the config part, I had the same approach. Even though it was kind of disapointing to know that I was going to fail, it was still a great experience. I simply can not understand how people can pass on their first lab attempt. To me it was, like i said, overwhelming, but it gave me invaluable help on how to prepare for my next attempt.

On my way back home from London I got an email from Cisco that said they were announcing Ver5.0 of the CCIE RS. I decided there and then to book a new lab date, and I booked another remote lab, this time in Milan.

I spend the time between my two lab attempts to brush up on different technologies, like BGP, QOS, MPLS and IP Services. I also made some big topologies in GNS, and had coworkers mess them up so that I could try to get troubleshooting practice. This really helped, and I made some plans and strategies along the way the really became useful on the real lab.

In Milan, I showed up early, only to find that the five other lab takers were allready waiting outside the building. Everybody was tense and nobody talked to eachother. The proctor took us in and after a brief peptalk we started on the Troubleshooting. I felt good, and solved a lot of tickets rather quick. With 45 minutes left, I had only a couple of tickets left, but I was stuck. I felt the desperation coming, but I managed to solve all but one. I felt that I had the chance of passing going into the config section, and it really gave me a lot of energy. I started the config, and suddenly it was time for the lunch break. I felt good, and also got the chance to talk to the other test takers as well as the proctor. Turned out he was a 4xCCIE. Wow.

Anyway, time flew by, and I finished with about 30 minutes to go and started checking my configs. There were some sections where I had problems, and one that I didn't event attempt. I had a good feeling when I walk back to the hotel, but I got more and more uncertain as the evening went. I thought of things that I should have done different, and stuff that I knew I did wrong. I had a bad feeling going to sleep, and hardly slept at all in anticipation of the email I knew would come some time during the night. I am sure I checked my email once every 30 minutes, until I got the email from Cisco at around 3 am. I almost trembled while checking my Cisco account, so much that I wrote my password wrong two times. But there it was: PASS!

So there it is. I have my number, and I am extremly happy (and proud). 14 long months of late nights, long weekends and close to no social life, but it was sooo worth it.

I am a Cisco CCIE! Yeah! :D

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!!

I READ TOP AND bottom of you post, it was to long for a guy who has lab exam in weeks from now.

The last section make me have a laugh, I would check also every 30 min!
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    congratulations!!!!! i usually never read big posts like urs but gotta tell ya bud, i read the whole thing like watching a suspense thriller to find out what happens at last.....awesome...
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not familiar with English?
    "needless to say"
    "started from scratch"
    "brushed up on CCNP topics"
    "simply cannot understand"

The list could go on, these are not the typical phrases of a non English speaker, i've traveled and worked with enough non native English speakers to know what you've written comes from a native. Waiting to hear how your friend translated it.....blah blah, now back to the real world.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Inscom: Lab in weeks from now? Good luck!! Feel free to PM me if you need any help during these last couple of weeks.

Omi2123: Hehe, thanks!

EdTheLad: Huh? Not sure how to respond here. Should I say thanks, or should I feel offended? Would you prefer Norwegian? Det er i så fall helt i orden.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Without harping on, you did say the reason you haven't contributed to the forum is due to your lack of English, i think i've established that that's not the reason lol.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    From a fellow Scandinavian, congratulations! :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That is quite inspiring to read. That anticipation of either PASS or FAIL was probably one of the slowest and most nervous times you've probably ever had- especially since that was the second time around. I can only imagine what thoughts of regrets that coursed through your mind while waiting...should have done this, should have applied that, etc. Now that you've achieved your goal, what is your next plan? Are you going to continue on with the Cisco track and aim for second CCIE in Security in order to be a 2xCCIE? The reason why I assumed you might do so is from your impressive VCAP certifications.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I love reading about people who have found success at the CCIE Lab. I hope I can do the same in October.

Many thanks for posting your story!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats man!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whats your CCIE number? I hope to get my number before I die!!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats and thanks for sharing your experience!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rareair wrote: »
    Inscom: Lab in weeks from now? Good luck!! Feel free to PM me if you need any help during these last couple of weeks.

Omi2123: Hehe, thanks!

EdTheLad: Huh? Not sure how to respond here. Should I say thanks, or should I feel offended? Would you prefer Norwegian? Det er i så fall helt i orden.
    Thanks for the offer very nice indeed! I am on the ccie SP track.
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, that must be a great feeling to get the pass.

What are you planning to do next? Are you doing more networking in your job now?
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome job! Congrats!!!
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Incredible accomplishment for sure, great post too. I am sure the forum could benefit from your knowledge and your English seems just fine to me.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very impressive portfolio of certifications you have there. Which do you enjoy more, VMware or networking and why?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Awesome effort buddy!

Mate, your lingo is fine if you are flinging about phrases like those! :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    JuliusgJuliusg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Wear your numbers proudly! what's next? NP Security?
    Goals: Updated 14 Mar 2014
    2013: CCNA R&S COLOR=red]X[/COLOR 2014: ​
    CCNP Switch[ ], CCNA-Voice[ ], CCNP Route[ ] 2015: CCNP Tshoot [ ], CCIE Written[ ] 2016: CCIE Lab [ ]
    WGU Progress: EUP1 CDP1 TBP1 CIC1 TCP1 TJC1 AGC1 TJP1 BVC1 CLC1 COV1 CQV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 GAC1 CJC1 CDC1 UBT1 EAV1 EBV1 WFV1 UBC1 EUC1 AJV1 BNC1 BOV1 CSV1 CTV1 CUV1 IWC1 IWT1 TPV1 AHV1 AIV1
    Start date: 4/1/2014 Transfered To do Currently Working On Completed
  • Options
    Thank you all for the nice feedback!

I still haven't decided what to do next, but I am leaning towards more Security Certs. I am considering CCIE Security, and maybe CISSP. Don't know which one to do first, though. At the moment I am relaxing, and spending more time with my family. My wife would not be happy if I told her I was starting on another CCIE this soon... :)

Like I said, my primary job function is VMWare, both Data Center and Desktop Virtualization. I have done all the certifications I can do in VMWare, so VMWare certs are not really an option. They do have the VCDX, and I have been to some VCDX Bootcamps when I have been to VMWorld the last couple of years, but VCDX are (almost) exclusively for consultants working for VMWare Partners. There are just over 100 VCDXs in the world, and I was told that onle one of them was not working for a partner when he presented his VCDX design. So no VCDX for me. It's a shame really, because I love VMWare, but that's just the way it is.

And I know my English isn't too bad, but I'm still not comfortable writing long posts. Believe me, I do more verification on the language and grammar in my posts here than I did on my configs in the CCIE lab. And like in the lab, I still do lots of mistakes... :)

My CCIE# is 42623, btw. Wohoo! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will bow down to you Master icon_cheers.gif

Congratulations!
    :study:
  • Options
    Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!! Take some much needed family time and enjoy your accomplishment!
  • Options
    BenchwarmersBenchwarmers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, inspiring story!! I think I speak for most of us when I say that your story puts things into perspective! I hope to follow in your footsteps!!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I enjoyed reading the story and 14 months seems long but that is measurably a short amount of time to get it done. Very impressive!

Also very impressive is your Virtualization Knowledge paired with CCIE!!! Wow! People are going to be begging to hire you if they aren't already!

Congrats and good luck on your future endeavors.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi