Options

Ubiquiti networks

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Any experience? I am looking for a point to point link over about 2km. These guys just seem so cheap compared to others I was wondering if they live up to the advertisements.

If any one has used them be intrested in your views
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I just deployed some of their AC access points about 3 weeks ago. The cheap price comes from the fact that they run a FOSS fork of Vyatta which, in turn, allows for a wicked good throughput. Their controller is not much to look at but it works fine. I also run a wireless network which has 20KM links over the 5GHz band using radios from a company called ENCOMM. I don't think that Ubiquiti can go as far as ENCOMM but it is significantly less expensive. Based on my experience with Ubiquiti I would not think twice about deploying it for a point to point link. Specifically I would use their AirFiber product.
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    At my previous employer we had a ubiquity point to multipoint setup providing internet to a handful of commercial customers located around our corporate office.. A restaurant, salon, bike shop, and some others. I think the farthest customer out was around 1 mile.

I wasn't involved in the development so I can't speak too much into the technical nature of the project, but we went with ubiquity because of cost. I know from speaking with the network engineer that the gear performed what we were hoping to achieve, which was providing a solid internet connection and a VoIP solution through it.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I have deployed 2 edge routers. I gotta say I'm amazed at how good these things are. We got them as a joke but they turned out to be production environment material. They can be a little strange for some people to get used to but they work pretty well. I can definitely say that I am going to use their products in the future. I can't believe the quality you get for that price.

Additionally, the forums are great. If you have a problem and post in on their forums, a employee usually answers within a few hours and helps you out.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    lazyjklazyjk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked for a WISP for four years where we deployed a couple thousand ubiquiti devices. I highly recommend them because IMO they provide the best combination of affordability/features out there. We had anywhere from 1 mile to 40 mile links deployed with them and loved them.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Many WISPs use them including Wi-Power which is nation wide
  • Options
    Well so far no negative feed back at all :)

I am looking to do a point to point link out to a remote site (about mile away) and then point to multi point, to distribute to multiply houses. Each house will have a simply wireless router so I can provided multiply levels of access with in the houses both wired and wireless.

Was looking at the nanostation and rocket M5 models as these all seem to be plenty powerfull enough as speed is not a major issue.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    lazyjklazyjk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rockets for the AP's and Nanostations for the CPE's are great choices - Primarily what my former job used. The new Nanobeam products have a lot of potential as well, but it sounds like they are suffering from Ubiquiti's main issue - unable to keep supply up with demand. If you are going to be running multiple rocket AP's on the same tower, I would make sure to look in to shielding kits for the antenna's (RFArmor) to reduce self interference.
  • Options
    lazyjk wrote: »
    Rockets for the AP's and Nanostations for the CPE's are great choices - Primarily what my former job used. The new Nanobeam products have a lot of potential as well, but it sounds like they are suffering from Ubiquiti's main issue - unable to keep supply up with demand. If you are going to be running multiple rocket AP's on the same tower, I would make sure to look in to shielding kits for the antenna's (RFArmor) to reduce self interference.

These will be house mounted, so planning on mounting one either side of the roof. Hoping a roof in the way will be OK for shielding :)

I still find it hard to believe a 7X3 inch device will give a good signal 7Km away but that remains to be tested. Got two arriving on Friday to play with :)

Cheers for all the info people most most helpful and reassuring.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The dimensions you described should be fine for a 7KM link on a directional antennae if you have reasonable line of sight. Our 30 mile links are not that much larger.
  • Options
    A friend worked this out (he is an old radio ham). and did confirm that at 2.4 and 5Ghz ranges, antenna only need to be a few cm, so indeed no need for a big cox :)

Does any one know a cheap home router that can support wireless with enterprise 802.1x authentication and Vlans?
  • Options
    hi,

OK so only going across a large room but seem to be straight forward to set up, next week its the mile test :)
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For a client that I consult for on the side, I'm thinking of replacing their sonicpoints (junk) with a few of the Unifi AP-Pro's. Can't beat the price, I can get three Ubiquiti's for the price of one Sonicpoint!
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use the unifi WAPs, these things are a great deal and with plenty of features. We do get the occasional WAP dying on us but its not too big a deal because they are so cheap.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As my humble opinion i would not recommend these brand...
    And its more for technical point of view.

If you want for example deploy a WLAN network for example for a School, university with High Density
    This things are just bad....
    It has no band steering, it has no air time fairness, it lacks of many features that are must in this kind of deployments.

The quality of the WLAN is really affected, and thats why people in general does not trust in WLAN. They thing it as an extra but that it cannot be your main access network when it is possible if you design it right and you use the right brand that can do all that is necessary to work properly.
    There are a really few brands that does actually have a good WLAN solution.

Not to mention that some of their APS got a 10/100 ports, and that on their datasheet they say they can go up to 300Mbps... which i dont know how they will reach that speed with that bottle neck... and even if you just used like you should on 2.4ghz 20mhz channel you should be able to go up to 150 Mbps but then you are just reaching 100Mbps because of the bottleneck.(supposing you got a 2x2 client)

We recently visit a school which is not happy with this brand... and is most likely for what i said in this tread.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
    Carlos
  • Options
    Works perfect in my view. I run the Uniquiti as point to point for getting 1.5 miles to the remote site and then around the accomidation houses. one it gets to the house I have meraki (and wish I had stuck with CISCO as we already have a few access points and meraki management is just another over head, despite that I am impressed with the Meraki's as a solution) to provide client access.

So planed well and with a decent understanding of there limitations they provide great value for money. the nanao stations are they very bottom of there range as well so for some thing that is £35 you cant expect the earth. If you want the best you have to pay for it. And if you arnt prepared to pay then you have to put in the hours to make it work. For the price your a fool if you think it will have all the latest bells and whistles. But it does the job as long as you take in to consideration there recommendations for deployment. And they have a great user forum.