WGU will be a New Beginning

teresa1517teresa1517 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
In order to qualify for WGU's requirements to get into their Tech program, I need to have a certificate that's on the list.
Transferable IT Certifications | WGU Online IT Certification
I don't have an associates or 3 years experience.

I have very limited resources to get the certificate, but found these 2 links for CCNA.
http://learn.itmasters.edu.au/course/index.phpINE.com
and
CCIE Training - CCIE Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Data Center

My question is, other than the cost of taking the exam are the 2 links above sufficient for preparing, and/or are there others online that are free, with enough information to prepare me to take an exam?

Comments

• edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA would be great to have, but if you have limited resources I would suggest going for something easier just to get you in. If I were in your position I would go for one of the CompTIA exams. In order of difficulty, from easiest to hardest (this is subjective) I would say it goes A+, Network+ and Security+. You could use Professor Messers site for very comprehensive video tutorials (free!) and take notes/study.

Hope that helps, good luck!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have limited experience and resources, I would like at CIW Foundations or one of the Microsoft MTAs.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • teresa1517teresa1517 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gosh, Professor Messers, CIW Foundations and Microsoft MTAs all look great!
    Thanks guys!
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ would be the most expensive choice as it is two test, but I think it knocks out 2 or more classes. I would probably go with CIW or the MTA if money is an issue.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The CIW are apparently the easiest route and least expensive route.
  • zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    Tyb wrote: »
    ...I think it knocks out 2 or more classes...

It knocks out all 3 of the IT Fundamentals classes at a minimum.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zidian wrote: »
    It knocks out all 3 of the IT Fundamentals classes at a minimum.

It shouldn't, the A+ covers IT Fund 2 and 3. IT fund 1 is a CIW exam.
    If you take the class it is but if you have A+ it is covered.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Now I'm interested. What does the CIW consist of and what's the price of the exam?
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
    I think this will help give you an idea of the cost and requirements: http://www.ciwcertified.com/
    Does anyone or has anyone seen FREE video's for the CIW studying and training?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    outside of WGU, the CIW exams are not very popular, so you might not find many free resources.

CIW Foundations Study Notes
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Antonio72Antonio72 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting WGU on April 1st, I only have the A+ at the moment but somehow I was able to get 12 credits and 4 classes cleared. It cleared IT Fundamentals II & III, Network Fundamentals and Introduction to Physics Lab. Don't know how having the A+ means I transferred in the physics lab but I'm not going to argue. One thing I did find weird was that I still need to take IT Fundamentals I, but that's a different cert and involves more web development so I guess that makes sense.

Just an FYI to help you with your decision.
    I believe it also depends on who evaluates your transcripts.
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I'm starting WGU on April 1st, I only have the A+ at the moment but somehow I was able to get 12 credits and 4 classes cleared. It cleared IT Fundamentals II & III, Network Fundamentals and Introduction to Physics Lab. Don't know how having the A+ means I transferred in the physics lab but I'm not going to argue. One thing I did find weird was that I still need to take IT Fundamentals I, but that's a different cert and involves more web development so I guess that makes sense.

Someone goofed up.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tyb wrote: »
    If you take the class it is but if you have A+ it is covered.

Gotcha. I forgot it is somehow different if you bring the cert in before you start vs actually doing it in class, makes no sense really. I know there was someone here a few weeks ago saying if they have their MCSA before they start the NA program they'd get something crazy like 37 credits or something, but around half that if you take it through the school.
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The MCSA appears to be 18 cu's. I'll be taking them all the 2nd term I enroll it. I'll see if they satisfy any other lower level courses as well.