Options

Looking to do CEH but only one year experience.

HamidullahHamidullah Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All
I am looking to do CEH but I only have one year IT experience and that's not within security but networking.
I have read through the EC council but their website seems very confusing on how to apply to do the CEH exam.
I see that I need to become an associate or something prior to taking on the exam.
Can someone please clarify to me how this would work out, do i need to take a general security exam before I can do CEH?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    EXPL01TUSEXPL01TUS Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is a 2-year security-related-experience requirement if you'd like to sit for the C|EH exam without taking the official C|EH preparation course.

If you have the experience, you can apply to site for the C|EH exam without the official training, and they will contact your employer verify your experience.

https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html

As far as I know, there is no "associate of . . . " status for EC-Council certifications (wherein you pass the exam before experience-eligible). You must meet all of the eligibility requirements before taking an exam, and you are certified upon passing.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only have 16 months of experience in IT/Security. If I have the SSCP and Security+ certs, can I use them as experience? I know with the CISSP this is possible as I had colleagues who did it with only 4 years of experience.
  • Options
    EXPL01TUSEXPL01TUS Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JasminLandry,

I don't think that EC-Council has any provisions that enable experience subsidies for alternate certifications and/or education like the ISACA and (ISC)2 certs do.

Some ISACA and (ISC)2 certs are not "entry-level" certifications (perceived difficulty being irrelevant), which is why they have a 5-year experience requirement that allows for subsidizing a certain amount of time for alternative education and/or certification.

EC-Council's lowest-level cert only has a requirement of 2 years' experience, and they have lock-step succeeding certifications that can follow once completing the entry-level cert. The only method of bypassing the experience requirement is to pay for their official training course.