Options

What's next?

bostianzbostianz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Currently I have a Network+ cert, and am planning on taking and passing my Security+ exam this upcoming week.

I feel I haven't been exposed to a super deep level of understanding of security/networking information with these basic certificates, so I'm having trouble on deciding what path to take for a future career. I enjoy understanding hard and complicated concepts, incorporating those concepts into real world situations, and understanding said concepts on a more true critical thinking (above fact regurgitation) level.

Does anyone here have any advice or past experiences in fields on which these certificates can lead to? Or maybe were in a similar situation and had some sort of epiphany or dream that showed them what road to take?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally would recommend working on your CCENT and CCNA (ICND1/2) next in a effort to get a better understanding of networking. What is your goal as far as concentration field you would ideally like to work in? Networking, Security, Sys Admin etc?
  • Options
    I like both aspects of Networking and Security. I'd like to work with creating networking topologies, securing those topologies, and even securing the hosts and servers that are part of those as well. More enjoyment around the technical aspects of things, than the business things such as the BCP (BIA,COOP,DRP) type of stuff.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about CCENT and then CCNA:Security?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You can do the CCNA certs in any order now, so CCNA:Sec first then CCNA:R/S afterwards is a possibility.
  • Options
    Would I have to pay to take classes for these certs, or can I buy materials of my own and self-study? My job right now is not that great and money can be tight.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Self-study is an option. You need to start reading through the posts in our Cisco discussion forums and discover what our other members have done.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP you can definitely self-study and put in the time/effort. CCNA probably has some of the most materials floating around online for studying among any certs I've done myself. As JD said, head to the CCNA section of the forum, there is a wealth of information there and I used it to help pass the exam myself not too long ago.
  • Options
    Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Self-study is the way to go. You can get a membership to either CBT nuggets or INE for $100 a month. Both have good products that can teach you most of what you need to know in the networking field.