Options

Thoughts about being considered for another position within the same company

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Thoughts about (asking) being considered for another position within the same company after you have been there a year. I wanted to make sure that I had been a here a year. The company has been growing quite a bit and I believe this new position aligns with my skills sets a lot more. I mean A LOT more. I wanted to speak to the decision makers and state my case and let them know I would be a major value add in this new position. To put some context around it right now I would consider myself a 5 out of a 10 in my current role. However the new role I would easily be a 8 and that's being pessimistic in my evaluation. I think it's a win/win. Has anyone ever done anything like this before. I've been approached before but I have never approached management about this. They know my service management background and my education and experience align with service and project management. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I've come across this before but approached it in a subtle 'feeler' way without letting on that I was interested in the position.

It's different in all situations but being a contractor/consultant, it's easier from a business perspective to have people stay put rather than hop positions. Make sure you're approaching it from a business angle, which I'm sure you are...AKA:

What will happen if you vacate the old position? Will it be filled or scrapped? Is it even needed? Should they onboard someone for cross training and knowledge transfer before you jump?
    What will happen if you fill the new position? What business value will you bring to the company in this role? Is someone needed to train you and how long will it take?

These are things I would consider in the process.
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally never had this situation happened but I know someone it was my IT Manager from my previous job. I asked him how did you get the position, and he said there were 5 IT Helpdesk seniors than him but the difference was he insist on getting involved with management, sharing ideas and boom one day the management decide to put him as the IT Manager. Now i know different companies have different situation but the point is that if you know you can, let them know because the worst the can say is no. icon_thumright.gif
    :study:
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am currently a Business Analyst and the position is a Project Implementation Manager. So I would be managing the clients and capturing EDI and ETL requirements. Providing these back to our BI architects and working with them to make sure the process works. FYI the director said he appreciated me stepping up.