Which networking jobs you ave autonomy

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
...ok out of all of them (Cisco, Exchange, VMware, e.t.c) which one of them have autonomy? I mean which ones can you leave the state for, resurface in another state, and make major $$$$ with no boss hounding your back the whole time.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That would be self-employment. Also, that is not determined by the technologies you work with. It comes down to the company and your position within the company, among other things. There isn't an answer to the question as you have put it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is a matter of corporate culture, not specific technology. I know people in several tech field who work like that.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    That would be self-employment.
    With self-employment it's your customers that are holding you back! icon_lol.gif
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Don't forget SMB. If you're the only one with primary access to the net gear then you can make your own rules (of course with your bosses/VPs approval).
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Textbook author. I have no idea how much money you make, but I assume that you can at least set your own hours and work from anywhere.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have worked as a staff writer for a technical book publisher. Yes, you can work anywhere you want, but you are still a slave to deadlines for content submissions and rewrites. And you don't make much (or any) money on royalties, unless you sell at the volume of Michener, Rowling, and Stephen King.