Options

network job interview - lab quiz

sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had a recent interview which included a switch config on live equipment. Because this was my first network job interview, my mind went blank because I really wanted the job. Well I got most of the quiz right but I realized some stupid mistakes afterwards when my anxiety went down. I had the interview earlier this week and yesterday I ran through the scenario on Packet Tracer because I wanted to know what steps prevented it from successfully connecting to the pc. Would it be stupid to contact them again and clarify the areas I goofed up on or should I just let it go and learn from it. Next time I will learn to control my nerves better so I'll be able to think straight.

Comments

• Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Honestly, I don't think anyone expects your first job interview to just go smoothly, especially not when it's a technical one with live equipment to work on. I think the first real job interview I had out of the Navy involved a written quiz (with dated information) and the 3 owners grilling me for a good 15-20 minutes.

It sounds like you've done the right thing after the interview though, working through the scenario and learning what you did wrong.

I also think, when presented in the right way that following up with a company you interviewed with is never a bad thing. Typically it's encouraged to write a follow up letter or email, expressing your appreciation for the opportunity to interview and their time. Slipping in there that you also worked through the problem they presented and was able to resolve it and learn from it when you had a clear head may not be a bad idea either. I would try to avoid it coming across as "I was stressed and now that I am not, I figured it out", as companies do like to have staff that can keep their cool under pressure and solve problems.

Either way, it sounds like this was a good learning experience and even if you don't get the job, you've gained some vital interviewing skills and that will help with the next time. Best of luck!
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say when you follow up with them, casually mention your correction as this displays your initiative, but don't make it the primary topic. Don't mention the part about being locked down in the brain though. Networking can be a stressful job at peak times(Like let's say, your network going down because of a power issue, someone messing up your routes, a fiber trunk getting cut by some guy drilling down the road), and if you can show to them your ability to keep your cool in the small issues, they'll trust you with the bigger projects, assuming you're somewhat competent at your job.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I sent a thank you note the evening on the day I had the interview and didn't mention anything about the quiz. I'll just hold off this time and mark it up as a learning experience. I do plan on running through switch setups each day in Packet Tracer to keep my skills up. I've been studying for the ICND2 and have let some of my basics fall to the wayside because I've been focusing on more advanced topics. I think by running through some fairly simple scenarios each day in Packet Tracer, I will more easily remember various commands when needed.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That sounds like a great plan. I got my CCNA almost a year ago and I find myself not knowing curtain topics. I just started going over the material to keep the information fresh.