Failed 70-685

dpbaker2dpbaker2 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
With a score of 529/1000 - 700 to pass. Given there are 50 questions, 17 q's split across 3 scenarios, and 33 'regular' questions, I was surprised at some of the content.

I've worked through Gibson, 70-685 MS Press mostly. I don't feel that there's a huge need to setup virtual lab, but does any recommend a provider for doing some test labs? I don't have the hardware to run virtual servers/PC's, so would like a third party to do this..

There was one questions that said "Site A has X users. A WWAN,WLAN and Ethernet based network. All users have secured connections. Sales staff frequently have to restart applications because there connections change. How do you minimise the connection losses.

1. Set the wireless profile to prioritize connections via GP.
2. Turn on VPN reconnect (there was no mention in the question that the users use VPN, only the word 'secured' connection).
3. Use GP to configure multiple VPN connections for each user.
4. Setup Direct Connect.

I chose 1 and 3 I think. But 2 of the questions gave a solution to VPN related problems, although the scenario never mentioned the use of a VPN.

There's a lot of this kind of trickery at play, if anyone else has sat it lately, do you have any guidance on handling questions like this. I'm not sure if I was being too 'detective' on it and making assumptions that didn't need to be made i.e. that there is no VPN being used anyway.

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sat and failed both the 70-685 and 70-686. They were the only certification tests I've ever failed, outside of a CCNA attempt I knew I wasn't ready for. Like you said, there is trickery, and that alone has made me move away from Microsoft exams all together. The official training material is sub-par and the tests themselves are, in my opinion, bullsh*t. Microsoft as a whole could really invest more into the people that have a career in their products.
  • dpbaker2dpbaker2 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's frustrating because, like you say, the tests are ambiguous. I've been DST for around 2.5 years and am sitting these out of pride (because I don't want to pursue DST for an eternity). I am pretty familiar with most the scenarios and have dealt with them in an enterprise. As my manager put it - the Microsoft certs seem more interested in making you a salesman of their products by the time you've revised for them. I know more about DirectAccess than I could ever want to, yet no enterprises I've worked in have ever used it, and I doubt many do.

Out of touch stuff...feel like I'm revising for namesake.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dpbaker2 wrote: »
    It's frustrating because, like you say, the tests are ambiguous. I've been DST for around 2.5 years and am sitting these out of pride (because I don't want to pursue DST for an eternity). I am pretty familiar with most the scenarios and have dealt with them in an enterprise. As my manager put it - the Microsoft certs seem more interested in making you a salesman of their products by the time you've revised for them. I know more about DirectAccess than I could ever want to, yet no enterprises I've worked in have ever used it, and I doubt many do.

Out of touch stuff...feel like I'm revising for namesake.

All of everything both of mentioned is completely 100 percent accurate. The confusing nature, the self-serving attitudes of the tests themselves, the sales element..

But they are still recognized certifications, and most people I talk to who fail unexpectedly on these Windows 7 test are almost ALL similar to you OP, they work in the field right now, they have ways they do things to get the job done and they don't really mesh with MS preferred way of doing things.

Ultimately, you really DO need to detach your real world experience and study more on what THEY want you to know. That is what I am learning about these MS tests as I go.

But my company is a MS Mid Market and Silver partner, so they push us to do these certifications. And there are many, many, many MSPs who are in the same boat, so they are definitely worth it in many ways.

But I totttttally feel you on all of this, both of you.

I am sitting the 685 next Tuesday, so I might be right back here with you haha

-scott
  • dpbaker2dpbaker2 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yo Scott,

I guess you're using the typical resources (MS Press, Gibson and CBT?). Anything out the norm that you tend to do to improve your chances? I'm going to use the exam **** questions too. I'm keen to hear your opinion mate, and if you can remember any questions from the test, publish on here! I make notes the moment I leave the test center and have a ton of stuff if you have use for it?
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @dpbaker2 Hey man if he remembers questions from the test he cant put them on TE and shouldnt put them anywhere else. This maintains the integrity and value of the certifications.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain. I had to learn so much about direct access and branch cache for basically nothing, because nobody really uses that stuff.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure