Network & System Administration is Whole different thing?

hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just found this website: Interactive Career Path - Cisco Networking Academy

There is no mention of System Administrator. Does that mean if I started walking down the CCNA path, there is no chance of becoming System Administrator down this road. And I would have to take a different route?

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You do realize you're referencing a networking career path, right?
  • hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh. Sorry. Is there a career path chart of System Administration?

Because the other chart I know of is : CompTIA Career Pathways

Not sure if System Administration path is in this chart. icon_sad.gif
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I was you, I would go to the Microsoft certification site and look at their chart. It is MS specific but does give an idea of what training and certifications you might need.

Some people would recommend the following path: CompTIA A+>Network+>Security+>Microsoft MCSA: Windows Server 2008/2012>MCSE: Server Infrastructure/Communication/Private Cloud/etc.

If you are interested in the Linux specific path, the Redhat site gives some information that might be useful.

Some people would recommend the following path: CompTIA A+>Network+>Security+>Linux+>Redhat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)>RH Certified Engineer (RHCE).

Naturally, opinions differ as to the value of the CompTIA certs. Some people view them as worthless, some as a good investment, and others as a necessary evil in order to get past the HR trolls. Myself, I'm neutral on them since they did help me land two interviews and two jobs (full and part time) but they won't land me the high paying gigs...that is what MCSA/MCSE/RHCSA/RHCE/CCNA/CCNP/VCP/CISSP/GSEC/etc are for.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    These aren't really career paths so much as they're certification paths. Certification paths and career paths is a whole different thing.

Both just try to tie an example job title to their certification but both of these are vendor specific certification paths and there are certification paths for Microsoft, Red Hat, Juniper, Checkpoint, Cisco, F5, Brocade et al.

Just because you are certified doesnt mean you will hold the job title or work in the job field indicated. I know many network and sysadmins with no certifications and/or "lesser" certifications than those indicated and/or certifications for vendors other than the ones they work on.

Either way, its good to have some sysadmin knowledge in networking or networking knowledge as a sysadmin
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^
    I have been searching for "career paths", but ending up with pages filled with list of certifications. Could you please tell me some info on the career paths.
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    1st line -> 2nd line -> 3rd line -> junior sys admin -> sys admin -> senior sys admin