Accepted a new position!

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know I've been quiet here due to having so much going on, and it has really panned out. Yesterday I accepted a new position. I'm extremely excited to be a senior cryptographic analyst with National Security Agency!

I feel extremely fortunate and, frankly, a little surprised. The truth is, I was slightly underqualified. I'm still working on my BS in Computer Science, and I really don't have the math background for cryptography or any significant professional experience with it. I don't have my CISSP, and I haven't sat for a certification since mid-2012. But what can I say? A killer resume, good interpersonal skills, and a real passion for information security, eavesdropping, and espionage landed me the position.

Plus, just like any other job, they list everything under the sun they know they'll never get for these positions. It's like I've been saying for years: just apply if you think there's any chance you can do the job — no matter how underqualified you might look on paper. Anyway, just thought I'd update everyone. I have to get going right away. They're relocating me to REDACTED for REDACTED operations, and I haven't even started packing.
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Looks like you've got the redacted thing down, so that should cover the second and third day of onboarding training (day four covers paper shredding, so start exercising your index finger). j/k Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats & good luck with the new role

The Job Title sounds kinda cool & Geeky icon_smile.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hmmm, either a great new job or a nice start to the April fools jokes. Either way, great post!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Come on guys.... April 1st.... ;)

The first rule for working at the NSA is that you don't talk about working at the NSA... ;)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! Unfortunately we have to understand we won't see you back here because with everything you've said above out three letter friends are already looking to make you disappear icon_smile.gif
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445

The first rule for working at the NSA is that you don't talk about working at the NSA... ;)

That's funny right there...

Congrats ptilsen, I couldn't agree more with your advice.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210

Ooor now that we all know, they are coming after us too, once they are done with him.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You really don't need to post your congrats. Just type it into the quick reply box — hell, anywhere on your computer — and the keyloggers will get it to me.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    senior cryptographic analyst with National Security Agency

Just dont become this guy Edward Snowden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because russia is really cold.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apparently people thought this was just as plausible as last year's.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ha!

It's official. I'm staying offline 4/1/2015 and every year after that.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Ha!

It's official. I'm staying offline 4/1/2015 and every year after that.

Wanna bet :) ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations from someone from the past ...1984
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Congrats, must be pretty cool saying you work for NSA. :) All the best in your new job if we don't ever hear from you again.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This explains the unusual static on my phone lines and the unusually high traffic on my home network. Time to pull the tinfoil out of the cabinet...
  • hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz! (even though this was posted on April 1) :D

Just a quick question guys, not trying to hijack this thread, what kind of internship positions can a networking student have? Is it only network support position level 1, or more lower position?
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□