My resume :p

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I don't know if people ever post their resumes here, but I think I will. I'll remove contact information, numbers, and etc
This was a really basic resume someone gave me a long time ago, and I just add to it over time. I've mainly worked for myself, so I don't have a lot of experience working with a computer or out in the field, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding work...probably because of that. <_<; Should I include minor work I've done...for single individuals?

I'm trying to get my CCNA, but I've failed twice so far. I still put down that I was trying to get it, so that it doesn't look like I'm done studying. I also plan to go for MCP eventually. The certs are going to take awhile, so I'm going to try and find a job and get some experience while I study. I've been looking for work all year, with no luck. I also haven't had luck volunteering. I've gotten close on a lot of jobs, but they always find someone else at the last minute. ;_;
I've taken a networking program at an IT school, so I threw a lot of the stuff I learned on my resume. It doesn't help that I don't have any experience or certs to back up any of it.

If someone could make some suggestions regarding my resume, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm really desparate right now...with my family selling our house to retire and I'll be stuck moving away somewhere to find work.

OBJECTIVE:

To earn an administrative position with opportunity for advancement in the computer industry and to build a Career in Networks Administration.

TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE

Installation experience:
Wintel Workstations, Printers(local/networked), Apache/Exchange Server
Software: OS, Applications, Utilities, Microsoft Active Directory services
Cabling: 10/100 BaseT Ethernet, wall outlets, closet punch down, Single/Multi-mode Fiber Optics
Configuration experience:
Operating Systems (Windows 95-2003, XP, Server), Cisco 2500 series routers, 1900/2950 Series Switches
Networking in a TCP/IP-Ethernet environment, Dynamic Routing Protocols
Support experience:
Helpdesk for TCP/IP Ethernet environment, multi-classroom campus
Troubleshooting experience:
Solved extensive end users problems, TCP/IP Ethernet network,
Printers, Routering protocols, VLAN Switching, Microsoft Office, Anti-Virus, Spyware removal

EDUCATION

2003 to 2005 International Academy of Design and Technology Orlando, Florida
Network Administration - Associate of Science (A.S.)

2002 to 2003 Lake Technical Center, Eustis, Florida
Computer Electronics Technology - Diploma

CERTIFICATIONS AND EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

2005 A+, Network+, Security+ Certified *Preparing for CCNA*
CompTia
2002 to 2003 Lake Technical Center, Eustis, Florida
SkillsUSA-VICA

WORK EXPERIENCE

2000 to 2004 *deleted*, Mount Dora, Florida –
Assistant 407-468-2156
Job Description: Maintained office software and hardware. Worked heavily with Microsoft word and a variety of name brand printers and modems. Assisted real estate agents by using a database to obtain local listening and client contact information.

2002 to 2003 *deleted*, Eustis, Florida –
Networking Assistant *deleted*
Job Description: Installed 100-200 new workstations, used ghosting software to mirror the images, ran 10/100-BaseT cable through plenum ceiling and installed new RJ45 wall outlets where they were needed. Offered technical support to customers and employees within the company. Repaired and replaced hardware in desktop and laptop computers. Removed viruses, malware and updated antivirus software to improve system performance and security.

1999 to 2000 *deleted*, Tavares, Florida –
Computer Operator *deleted*
Job Description: Developed a simple categorization system and cataloged the stores inventory using Microsoft word and Excel spreadsheet software. This database made locating parts faster, thus saving time.

--REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST--

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm too lazy to read through it,but just a couple of things i noticed.
    You have "Solved extensive end users problems" drop the s on user,
    you mention dynamic routing protocols, your best bet is to mention the protocols you know rather than generalizing,job agents and HR departments are usually looking for specific buzz words!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's corrected, thank you. :)

Anyone else? Surely there's something else I could do with this. :/
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi KGhaleon,
    I think you need to do alot of work on this resume!
    I just had another look, your work exp descriptions need alot of work.
    Get a piece of paper and for each job write down the list of things you did
    and then try and come up with a good technical description for the position you had.It just reads like your going backwards.First job you programed a database,second job you ran some cables and replaced PC's
    you also installed an anti virus program on a PC which my granny can do.
    Third job you left IT and became a secetary!
    Sorry for being harsh but i'm just saying it how i'm reading it!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I'm really desparate right now...with my family selling our house to retire and I'll be stuck moving away somewhere to find work.

Have you applied with Power1? http://www.power1.com/careers.php

Or any other local shops?

Do you want/need to find a job in lake county? Have you tried looking for a job in orlando?
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Seperate your extra curricular activities and your certifications along with suggestions already mentioned.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I sent my resume to PowerOne just now, and I've been sending it to a lot of different people and companies. I revised it and made numerous changes, so maybe now people will look at it. :p

I really need my CCNA, so I hope I can add that on there by the end of the week. If things don't go well, I'll probably get a temporary job doing things non-IT if I have to.

I'm moving out of my apartment tomorrow, so I'll be forced to stay with family until they sell their house mid-december. I have until that time to find a job and get a new place to live. Apartments in the Orlando area cost about $1,100 a month. o_O

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680