Favored Linux Distro?

citrus_sugarcitrus_sugar Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I started using Kali for an ethical hacking class I'm taking at my college. In my Linux classes we used the Fedora and Ubuntu distros to learn Linux sys admin. I eventually want to install a Linux distro on one of my extra laptops to keep up those skills and wanted an opinion as to which is your preferred distro and why.
Goals for 2014: Summer Internship, Graduate, Net+, Sec+, CCENT

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Pretty certain this topic has been covered a few times at length...try a search.

Here is a search result from a very broad search:
    http://www.techexams.net/search.php?searchid=389356
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I, myself, prefer either vanilla Debian or Slackware. I have never been much of an RPM-based distro fan, though I will start getting comfortable with it soon. There is great value in CentOS, since you can learn all you need to sit for the RHCSA/RHCE exams. I've tried, and kind of dig, Oracle Linux (free to download/use), which is based off of Red Hat. I used to like Ubuntu, until they changed from the Gnome desktop that I love so much.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    My favorite is CentOS as I've been involved with RedHat under many different names and I'm just used to it, perferably with some lightweight window manager (Openbox, Fluxbox) but at work we use Ubuntu with Unity as desktop OS and I already got used to it. Unless you're into administration you won't really see any difference as you'll be using desktop most of the time and Ubuntu is great for compatibility. The beauty of Linux is variety, there is no one-fit-for-all, so choose what fits your style best.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CentOS for me ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am pretty partial to CentOS and RHEL.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Debian is my OS of choice, but I like CentOS too.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    RHEL and CentOS.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ubuntu. I know most people say baby linux, but we've been using it for testing at work (we have one RHEL box for production) and everything is much smoother when setting things up in Ubuntu.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Pretty certain this topic has been covered a few times at length...try a search.

I feel like there's a running ad nauseam list...like Groundhogs Day!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    I use Ubuntu for deskptops, and CentOS for servers. Solaris (while not quite Linux) is my first love.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RHEL and CentOS are my favorite Linux distros :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Debian, although this weekend I'm going to switch to LMDE. Why? Cinnamon.
  • jeffgibbsjeffgibbs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a kubuntu fan. Anyone else every use it?
  • citrus_sugarcitrus_sugar Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems like most everyone who's answered is using one of the more major distros. I was leaning toward Ubuntu, but may do Kali on another laptop as well since I already had to download the iso for this class.
    Goals for 2014: Summer Internship, Graduate, Net+, Sec+, CCENT
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems like most everyone who's answered is using one of the more major distros. I was leaning toward Ubuntu, but may do Kali on another laptop as well since I already had to download the iso for this class.

Or don't. Kali is not supposed to be used as a main OS. Why reduce your security to that of a Windows user? I just don't like the idea of running as root all the time. Use it for pen testing but for a main os, there are a lot of other options that are better. Also, especially when the goal is to learn linux, Kali is again not the optimal choice.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    After some days trying out LMDE, I have to admit is the best by far (for me). Eye-candy, stable and Cinnamon is, IMO, the best desktop for productivity with the combination of panel, expose and scale.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I use Mint but I was wondering - does anyone have experience with OpenSUSE? I haven't used it for more than 15 minutes so I can't really have a stable impression.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    I've tried it a couple of times, but never pass the day... I don't like YaST at all, and I have an ATI card and if I don't recall wrong, it was a pain to make it works
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I like Linux mint for home use.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Mint but I was wondering - does anyone have experience with OpenSUSE? I haven't used it for more than 15 minutes so I can't really have a stable impression.

At work we use openSuse on some of our Linux boxes. No issues so far as long as I have been here.

At home I like to use Mint as well.
  • kristankelsch87kristankelsch87 Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Both are good, But I will go with Centos.
  • Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've enjoyed using Linux Mint, but have switched over to using Arch.

While the install can be daunting for some, the online how-to documentation is one of the best there is.

Arch gets my vote.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Debian/Sid (and the occasional attempt at getting a working Gentoo), using openbox as my wm.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Debian with KDE. I used to be a fan of GNOME, but fell in love with KDE the first time I tried it.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Almost forgot, PFSense and DD-WRT are also on my 'favorites' list icon_cool.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gnome was better than KDE back in Gnome 2 / KDE 3 (imho). I used KDE since KDE 4 until I had to halve my RAM into a second box and it started being a bit too sluggish with only 4 gig. (I never thought I'd say that about linux...)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grml is what used to use it was a good distro. I now like to use the Fedora 20 Security Spin distro.
  • Clem25Clem25 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were wanting to start learning Linux, which of these would be the best to put on an older laptop and start missing around with it? Or should I use virtual box, and then add something? Thanks. Pretty new to this.
    Ubuntu is probably the best place to start IMO. Easy to install/use. What kind of specs does your laptop have?

• Clem25Clem25 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Core i5, 500gb hdd, 4 gb ram. Would this be ok? What are the min specifications that I could have?