Options

How would you run this cabling..??

Kenneth196Kenneth196 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

Not really CCENT/CCNA related, but at one point or another, we'll have to run some cabling (if we havent already), right? :)

I will be going out to a branch in a few weeks to re-do their cabling. Currently, they have a 72 port patch panel, going to a 16 port D-Link switch (some of the cables are going directly from a server to the switch, etc). They'll be replacing that with a Cisco SF-300 48-port managed switch. How would you recommend I run the cables from the patch to the managed switch once it's mounted? I'm thinking maybe from the patch panel, down the inside of the rack on the sides, and to the switch.

Here are pics of their current setup:

Thanks!!!
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." - Unknown

Comments

• Options
    tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We use finger duct panels most of the time - HORIZONTAL FINGER DUCT FRONT 2RMS | Structured Cabling, Network Cabling, Structured Wiring Solutions | ICC.

The picture keeps rotating every time I upload it. Just turn your head a little and you'll get the idea lol.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

+1. It'll minimize clutter and excess wire ties. Of course it looks pretty too if you do it right :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Can colour code it as well, makes it a lot easier to follow/avoid plugging in wrong cables to wrong ports.

Might want to run an eye over their switch configs before planning/drawing up diagrams/rewiring plan, see if any vlans etc
    And a bit more labelling wouldn't hurt
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second the cable management it will make the patch cables look a lot better...But i would also like to point out some things that most people don't think about. It looks like they are running there voice and data on the same patch panel.(the line cords told me that) and that's fine. but if your going to replace both voice and data cables get another patch panel and punch down a 50 pair cat3 tie cable and run it to that back wall (66 block) so you can run 2wire and 4wire circuits. also look at The pic that tycar86 posted...see how the patch panel is in the middle of the rack and not at the top. you should have the switches and routers at the top then patch panel with your cable management then at the very bottom put in some kind of ups unit(power back up) and see if you can get the rack grounded to the main ground bus for the building....