Options

Please help with very first connection process to my PC for 4 Cisco switches.

EpidotEpidot Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have started to learn CCNP Switching and so have bought 2x 2950's and 2x 3550's

I have connected up the Switches using the following topology Cisco CCNP SWITCH Lab Recommendations

I have so far connected to 1 of the layer 3 Switches via the console port and this is where I am now.

I am using TeraTerm. I'm just a bit confused as to how I should leave my lab each time I come back to it with regards to telnet and console.

Do I need to have the console cable constantly plugged into one of the Switches and then telnet across to the other three?

I wanted to initially use the console to set up the Switches and then switch over to telnet/ssh from then on but I don't know how. My PC only has one Ethernet port and I use that for my router and internet connection. So is that right? I need to keep a console cable connected at all times throughout all my labs and learning?

Or is there a way to do everything via telnet. Like buying an external Ethernet card or something?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Connect your switches to your router. Most home routers have built in switch ports, or you can figure out how to set up one of your Cisco switches. You can figure it out!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    Epidot wrote: »
    I am using TeraTerm. I'm just a bit confused as to how I should leave my lab each time I come back to it with regards to telnet and console.

Do I need to have the console cable constantly plugged into one of the Switches and then telnet across to the other three?

This is certainly one method of configuring the switches. However, in order to use telnet, you must assign an IP address to each device first, which means moving the console cable from device to device to set up an initial configuration.

This also means that you mush be mindful of your configuration. If you clear the configuration after a lab, you will need to configure the IP address on the device again.

I wanted to initially use the console to set up the Switches and then switch over to telnet/ssh from then on but I don't know how.

Which part are you confused on? Setting up and restricting access to a switch for telnet/ssh connection is covered in the CCENT curriculum. It's sort of a big part of the CCNA track.

My PC only has one Ethernet port and I use that for my router and internet connection.

This shouldn't pose a challenge for a CCNA. What on earth could we put between our PC and Router that would also allow us to connect more ethernet devices? (Hint: You have at least 4 of them)

So is that right? I need to keep a console cable connected at all times throughout all my labs and learning?

Or is there a way to do everything via telnet. Like buying an external Ethernet card or something?

You certainly can keep a cable connected. It's the easiest solution, and if you wipe the config, you wont lose access. Another alternative might be to add more serial ports to your PC so you can attach more console cables. Many people use the USB Serial port adapters and a USB hub. I paid about $40 for an access server and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, what Access Server did you get for that price? I haven't been able to find any cheaper than around $100 (although I haven't looked in probably a year, to be honest)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    I bought a Moxa CN2516. I guess the secret is out, I just checked ebay and they start around $250?! Wow, I sure wouldn't pay that much for one. These are older serial servers and support telnet only, which is fine for a lab environment.

I guess just keep an eye out, I used to see them for $40 all the time. It took a little experimentation getting the pinouts for the serial cable, but I nailed it down if you end up with one in the future.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the OP started the CCNP without doing the CCNA..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    xnx wrote: »
    I think the OP started the CCNP without doing the CCNA..

Sounds like it to me too. CCENT - CCNA - THEN CCNP.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I'm a little confused about the OP. I'm not even Cisco Certified yet and I even know how to setup what he's asking. This kind of seems like a very basic question if you ask me. I think the OP should take a CCENT exam or at the very minimal take a Network + exam. Without any of the following preq. exams getting a CCNP is not going to be a walk-in-the-park.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I have started to learn CCNP Switching and so have bought 2x 2950's and 2x 3550's

I have connected up the Switches using the following topology Cisco CCNP SWITCH Lab Recommendations

I have so far connected to 1 of the layer 3 Switches via the console port and this is where I am now.

I wanted to initially use the console to set up the Switches and then switch over to telnet/ssh from then on but I don't know how. My PC only has one Ethernet port and I use that for my router and internet connection. So is that right? I need to keep a console cable connected at all times throughout all my labs and learning?

thanks

To give you one mere step of advice and some basis help: buy a serial-to-usb adapter such as the one from Belkin.

Here is some very basic help:

I presume you know how to set the adapter to COM1, if I presumed correctly connect to the switch in that manner via Putty. Log into the switch for the 1st time, set the hostname, the IP address, subnet mask and the gateway (I presume you know how to do this?). Once you've setup the switch with say a 192.225.225.0/27 subnet you can plug in your PC to the switch via one of the ethernet ports and then plug a network cable from your switch to your internet-facing ISP router or attached wireless router (it's probably best if you have your ISP supplied router connected to a Linksys, as an example, router so you can have DHCP) - just so you can get an idea set the switch to say 192.225.225.2 and then also log into your wireless router and assign it an IP address of 192.225.225.1, also remember to assign your gateway on your switch as your router's IP address of 192.225.225.1. Once you've done this to your router your network should follow this connection chain.....

Internet into ISP router, ISP router into wireless router, wireless router to switch, switch to computer.

One last thing, don't forget to add your computer to the /27 subnet :P

now if you want to get real crafty you can setup a router-to-router connection or setup a vlan for your other switches, but that I'll leave you to figure out.

This is just a basic explanation of your question. Hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck with your studies.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about the OP. I'm not even Cisco Certified yet and I even know how to setup what he's asking. This kind of seems like a very basic question if you ask me. I think the OP should take a CCENT exam or at the very minimal take a Network + exam. Without any of the following preq. exams getting a CCNP is not going to be a walk-in-the-park.
    CCNA is required to even sit for the CCNP (or a CCIE certification).
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ok, let's keep it on topic with constructive advice.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    CCNA is not required for CCIE^, and I'd highly suggest a terminal server OP, or I guess telnet'ing also works ok for smaller labs - I did this for quite a while before I got my 2509 terminal access router.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A Cisco 2509 or 2511 would be ideal for OP. Look on eBay, if you are lucky you may find one for just $50.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do this in three ways:

1 - Buy one of those 4xRS-232 to USB connectors. Do a google search for it
    2 - Initially set up a management address on all switches. Console into one of the switches, and then do telnet/ssh hops to the other ones. Just make sure not to whipe the startup config completely when you do labbing.
    3 - Buy a terminal server/router
  • Options
    EpidotEpidot Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't appreciate the negative remarks. I have indeed passed the CCNA with 973 and 986. I understand Cisco well on a CCNA level. But when starting to get to grips with actual hardware it's is not the same. Looking at 4 Switches, home router, one console cable and alot of config changes/wipes that I know will drop my connections makes it not so simple to see the best setup one you first start using actual equipment.

Sure I can connect my switches together with ethernet cables and telnet accross etc. But my concern was that I will lose connectivity alot when making changes and will need to revert back to the Console cable so I just wondered if im missing something or there is another way.

This post was written days ago now and I have since found that I can by a 4 X R232 conver cable and a access server so all four Switches can be connected at once without me having to keep moving the console cable around. But I have not done this. I just use one Ethernet cable going into port 24 of just one SW at all times and if a change drops my connection I just revert to the console cable. This is working fine.

Thanks Lincis_aus for your helpful response below that I would have used if I hadn't already found this information out.

lincis_aus
    You can do this in three ways:

1 - Buy one of those 4xRS-232 to USB connectors. Do a google search for it
    2 - Initially set up a management address on all switches. Console into one of the switches, and then do telnet/ssh hops to the other ones. Just make sure not to whipe the startup config completely when you do labbing.
    3 - Buy a terminal server/router
  • Options
    awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did a combination of things with my PC/lab setup. Internal serial card with 4x ports and an ethernet card. I can monitor traffic with the serial connections and send interesting traffic over ethernet. A PC to switch/router ethernet connection also comes into play if you do security or voice.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    With 2. - easiest is to use VLAN1 for management traffic between all your devices. Just ensure you don't do anything stupid to stop VLAN1 traversing your Layer 2 interconnects.

However, there is no comparison to using the Console ports. Seems like you have a solution now, but I love my 2511 that's in my lab. I can just console to everything I need to. The only downside is that the console port is damn slow compared to Telnet, but then I don't mind it so much. It teaches one how to be patient and issue the correct commands in the first place (CCIE lab is looming, so learning to be efficient AND fast is a very very useful skill indeed)
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can, have a look at the CBT Nuggets series: "CCNA Labs - Cisco for the real world".

Its a good walk through of configuring a branch office network from the ground up...equipment selection, IP addressing, vlans, trunking, etc

Helps bridge the gap from CCNA theory to practice.