Options

Troubleshooting packet tracer labs

jcarrillo26jcarrillo26 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know where i can get troubleshooting packet tracer labs i want to perfect my troubleshooting skills or if they know any physical equipment labs for troubleshooting. I am prepping for the ccna and i want to start off with layer 2 troubleshooting vlans, trunks, duplex mismatches, etc. Thank you for replies i appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Start by replacing Packet tracer with GNS3. Once that is done, go to GNS3vault, they have great labs.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback but is there a free full version of of gns3 i have heard great things about gns3 but the gns3 i have is limited and wont let me do any labs.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Is this what you are using? Download - GNS3 You need your own IOS, but besides that there is nothing to buy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I used packet tracer for CCNA labbing, and my approach was to continually build out additional networks with different protocols / features, and fix issues as I run into them.

I think the most important aspect for learning for me, was not having a lab book that gave me step by step configuration, but scale it from memory and using the ? on the CLI to assist me along the way. There are some limitations to functionality, but no deal breakers for me that prevented me from labbing CCNA level topics.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is this what you are using? Download - GNS3 You need your own IOS, but besides that there is nothing to buy.

One thing I will add onto this: You're going to need to have things capable for switching too. Obviously, as you will observe in GNS3, the switches don't support CLI. This is what you do: 1. Make sure you have an IOS for both a 2600 and 7200. 2. On the 2600, you will attach a NM-16ESW. Go into the command line. Type in the command "no ip routing". This will be your "switch". Once you get to CCNP level, you will need real switches, as doing this will limit you to only some of the switching features (Enough for CCNA studies though). For now, this will suffice. I highly recommend using an advipservices image with the 7200 (This or the 3725 should be your primary router). Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    One thing I will add onto this: You're going to need to have things capable for switching too. Obviously, as you will observe in GNS3, the switches don't support CLI. This is what you do: 1. Make sure you have an IOS for both a 2600 and 7200. 2. On the 2600, you will attach a NM-16ESW. Go into the command line. Type in the command "no ip routing". This will be your "switch". Once you get to CCNP level, you will need real switches, as doing this will limit you to only some of the switching features (Enough for CCNA studies though). For now, this will suffice. I highly recommend using an advipservices image with the 7200 (This or the 3725 should be your primary router). Good luck!
    Or just download the new GNS3
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Or just download the new GNS3

That's true, but I'm just assuming he didn't pre-order. I also couldn't find an IOU image so I just haven't really used it.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    thanks for all the replies but i would like to use gns3 i have physical equipment too. i have 2 2950 switches 1 3550 switch and 3 2600 routers here in my ccna lab. does any one know the site i can go to where there is the full version of gns3 ?
  • Options
    so in other words i just have to make my router a switch? but dont the routers have limited capabilities of alot of trunk links?
  • Options
    could anyone tell me the difference between the native vlan and vlan 1? i know by default the native vlan is vlan 1 but what would be the need to change it?
  • Options
    Vlan 1 is always the default native vlan on a switch. Keeping it as vlan 1 is a security violation in a large corporate network. In addition, VTP is usually not recommended to be turned on by Cisco, so they'll disable VTP and make the native vlan like 3023 or something.
    so in other words i just have to make my router a switch? but dont the routers have limited capabilities of alot of trunk links?

Yes but like I said before, it will be enough for CCNA studies. Trunking should be fine. Just make sure to input the #switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q command when configuring.
    thanks for all the replies but i would like to use gns3 i have physical equipment too. i have 2 2950 switches 1 3550 switch and 3 2600 routers here in my ccna lab. does any one know the site i can go to where there is the full version of gns3 ?

With all that equipment, you won't need GNS3. You have enough switch for STP, enough routers to see the routing protocols work, and you even have a layer 3 switch! What do you need GNS3 for?
  • Options
    If you wanna know why native vlan 1 is a security violation, I'll tell you, but it's more for the CCNA Security side. Look up VLAN hopping.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    hello everyone,

thanks for the replies and feedback i am going to look into vlan hopping i do plan to go to the ccnp and ccie levels so thank you for the information.