Options

Can ITIL cert benefit technical (non-manangement) staff

test2014atest2014a Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
And/or can it help in getting a non-management position as a technical person? I am considering ITIL foundation cert.

Another question is do ITIL certs have renewal policy?

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi test2014a,

The best way to test if ITIL will be valuable for the roles you want is to look on local job forums and postings - is it part of the required skillset?

Many organisations value ITIL for their technical staff because it helps them to understand the common language and the theory behind the processes they may be expected to work with like event management and incident management.

The ITIL Foundation can be a great career boost for a fairly small investment.

Claire
  • Options
    mikelau13mikelau13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    test2014a wrote: »
    And/or can it help in getting a non-management position as a technical person? I am considering ITIL foundation cert.

Another question is do ITIL certs have renewal policy?

To answer your question straight: ITIL alone will NOT help you to get a technical position. Getting the ITIL foundation will help you to understand how people in an ITIL organization/team work together to achieve the goal, but it doesn't help you anything about the "technical".

Getting ITIL can add value to the top of your technical certifications to tell the employers that you know how company works; but ITIL is NOT a technical certification.

May I ask that what is your background when you mean "technical person"? Are you a programming type, testing/validation type or MIS/operation type?

I agreed with Claire that it is a very small investment for a good return, and yes it is a local forum thing. In my country, ITIL is not popular.