Options

CCNA Lab

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm looking at physical lab. I'm fully aware of gns3 and packet tracer. I would just rather work with a physical lab on this one. Would I be able to get through ccna topics with the following? 3 Cisco routers:
1841 with one 1dsu-t1 v2
2620xm with one 1dsu-t1 v2

3 Cisco 2950 switches

Comments

• Options
    And seems like it might be worth it to get an access server as I will want to do practice labs from remote after I do the initial configuration. Any suggestions there? I got my eye on the 2509
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's all you'll need for the CCNA. However, if you ever plan to reach CCNP level, you will need a couple of layer 3 switches i.e. 3550/3750/3560.

Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Practice from remote? lab in the garage and you in the living room? lol
    Why don't you print of the pics of the routers and stick them to your wall, take some black tape and connect all the required ports together. Buy a large fan to make the noise of the real equipment.
    Then duplicate your pic in GNS and pretend that you have some real equipment.
    Preferably you should install GNS on a labtop, then you can work on your laptop in the living room remotely so you don't have to hear the noise of the fan.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Preferably you should install GNS on a labtop, then you can work on your laptop in the living room remotely so you don't have to hear the noise of the fan.

Lol genius.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    LMAO @ ed.., I can get all that for $180. Want to be able to access from my office.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer a real lab also. However I only think it's worth the money if you are going to study past CCNA. If you are I would suggest all 1841 or better routers.

I have a real lab and still do half of my stuff in packet tracer. It's just faster and easier to set up.

Good Luck