Weird Entry Level Position Question

hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but which Networking entry level position requires very little human interaction? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    hell911 wrote: »
    Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but which Networking entry level position requires very little human interaction? icon_rolleyes.gif

rofl - Ironically all people in IT would love to be a hermit but 99% of the time its unavoidable....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Most entry level stuff requires more human interaction than the more experienced roles. Working in a NOC would probably be your best bet, but still going to be quite a bit of human interaction. Just usually not with external customers. To get NOC jobs most people start out in something like help desk or customer support that does require a lot of interaction though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh well, seems like it really is unavoidable.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is your reasoning?

The days of the anti-social and rude IT person are behind us. Unless you're a technical savant that is going to come up with some great innovations, companies realize that technical skills can be learned and that the soft-skills are fairly important.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Entry level networking positions don't have a lot of customer interaction in my (albeit limited) experience. You'll interact with your team, but it's unlikely that you'll present solutions to customers (or internal managers) or do things of that nature. I did stuff like racking gear, solving support tickets, deploying IP phones, etc. Entry level support for a large campus basically.
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Why do people want to shy away from human interaction? Don't you get lonely?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,081 Admin
    I think software development is the profession where people leave you alone and just let you work (hopefully). If you interview for a software job and the hiring manager uses terms like "agile projects," "online collaboration," and "pair programming" then you'll never be alone.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sadly, there isn't a networking position that fits your requirements. All networking positions require 100% human interaction all the time.
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    You might try overnight operator type positions. Performing backups and that type of thing.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good call Russell. I agree 3rd shift network operations for a mid size company with a data center.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sizeon wrote: »
    Why do people want to shy away from human interaction? Don't you get lonely?

I've been on one extreme before, where I've had meetings from 9-5 but since I was in meetings all day I wasn't able to address outstanding tickets and outages. Some companies are truly understaffed.

I also went from Service Desk to a System Admin role, but people didn't like the new Service Desk employees and remember me being very helpful, so they would cut ahead in line and instead call or e-mail me directly with problems (or even walk up to my office!) which would take me off task all day.

So we had a Service Desk of 4-6 people sitting idle while I was getting distracted nonstop and couldn't do my own job at all. Total nightmare.

I guess some of us only like necessary human interaction in order to do our jobs but we don't like excessive human interaction that prevents us from getting any work done for the company at all.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS