Need Advice on resume.

jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
Wanting to apply to a couple of new jobs but before that I updated my resume. Can anyone take a look at it and see if they notice anything I should change. I'm look to apply to some server administrator jobs or networking jobs. Mainly Server Administrator jobs.Jahaziel_Resume.doc

Comments

• White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Not bad, I think it could use some color to make it stand out but this is my opinion.

Not a fan of bullets, prefer a brief summary below each position.

Its really up to you though.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It might be a good idea to edit out your name, cell phone, e-mail, and other PII before posting your resume here. You just never know who might harvest that info for malicious purposes!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to edit out your name, cell phone, e-mail, and other PII before posting your resume here. You just never know who might harvest that info for malicious purposes!

Good point... lol did it in a rush. Ill update right now.

@White Wizard. I don't know how I feel about color on a resume. I'll give it some though.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Document and configure access points to use 802.1x while adding it on the radius server as well." Please rephrase that sentence

Remove the skills section and work those technologies into your job description. You have a CCNA, it goes without saying that you can "Troubleshoot TCP/IP issues and network connectivity-related issues." and can "Setup residential networking devices such as routers, switches, hubs."

Drop the summary section, let your work experience speak for itself. Try to get your resume down to 1 page. You need to be more succinct in your job description lines.

Overall a pretty good resume and I like how you how you specially named the technologies you have used at each position.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    "Document and configure access points to use 802.1x while adding it on the radius server as well." Please rephrase that sentence

Remove the skills section and work those technologies into your job description. You have a CCNA, it goes without saying that you can "Troubleshoot TCP/IP issues and network connectivity-related issues." and can "Setup residential networking devices such as routers, switches, hubs."

Drop the summary section, let your work experience speak for itself. Try to get your resume down to 1 page. You need to be more succinct in your job description lines.

Overall a pretty good resume and I like how you how you specially named the technologies you have used at each position.

Updated Resume. Added a couple of more things I done in my current job and also removed couple of things you suggested since it makes sense.

I really don't want to make my resume 1 page since I have been "job hopping" and I would like to show the amount of experience I have. Might be because I'm pretty young and don't want them to take a decision based off my age.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    My suggestions based on the first post resume above: (can't tell if that's been edited already)

"University" is spelled wrong (if you haven't already addressed that) Your degree is "Network Administration" not "Administrator". Take off "Emphasis"

Your resume will be just fine at two pages, no more than that though. This won't be your life story, this is just something to get potential employers interested in you. Fine tune your resume for each type of job you apply for. Feel free to put your Cell and Email on the same line to conserve space. (Left justify/Right Justify,etc)

I'd move the education and certifications down after your work experience and skills, don't make an employer hunt for what they want to see most.

Soft skills are just as important as technical skills. Great customer service skills? Team Player? Able to work unsupervised? Quick Learner? Motivated? Great Attitude? Helps others succeed? Reliable? These need to be on a resume if they are true about you.

It's ok to have some spacing in between sections on your resume, makes it easier to read. You want people to actually read it...

For work experience, it's generally recommended to get some hard numbers and dollar amounts. For example, the network technician position.

-How many servers did you upgrade from 2008 to 2012? How did that go? Any down time to the end user? Save anyone money by doing this? Increase functionality for company? Increase security? Did you automate this process and save some man hours?

-How many networking issues did you troubleshoot? Are you a good troubleshooter? (that's a skill) You don't need to list school OR school, just list how many networking issues you resolved, customer satisfaction due to resolving issue, etc

-Migrate...blah? what? Remove -Leveraged WDS and other Microsoft technology to automate imaging tasks, saving # of man hours per computer build (or total # of man hours saved)-(number of hours it takes to build a machine manually times the number of computers you imaged using WDS or other imaging software)

-How many proliant servers did you work on, how many issues did you resolve, Tier 1, 2 or 3? or all?

-Handle all cases....that doesn't tell anyone anything. Can remove yeah? or, how many "tickets" did you handle per day/week/month/year? Pick a number that tells the reader something useful.
    How many AD accounts/email did you generate, did you do it perfect the first time? Overall, how many AD/email things did you manage?

-Configure 3com AP's..blah blah blah... Installed and secured wireless infrastructure. How many AP's? How did this impact your business? Keeps things secure while providing wireless access to your company?
    (These are all quick written examples, you should refine them if you use them)

The point in general is, when someone reads your resume...you want to tell them how you impacted the business you were at. What did you do from the business perspective, why should they hire you?
    EXP -
    Responsible for maintaining a network and hardware inventory of $200,000 worth of equipment.
    Resolved 150 end user tickets per month with 100% customer satisfaction.
    My quick thinking and troubleshooting skills resolved 40 networking issues a month, saving the company # of dollars a month, increasing network up time to X%, ensuring end user satisfaction was at it's highest levels ever.
    Worked with a team of 3 individuals to manage 800 Active Directory & email accounts.
    Ensured Best Practice Wireless Security standards through RADIUS(notice how I'm capitalizing RADIUS?) authentication.
    Documented technical instructions to standardize common practices, saving time and helping train other team members.

-I'd go through and look at each position you have listed and figure out how to actually convey some meaningful information to a potential employer.

Remember, you are using this to get them interested enough to call you in for an interview, every single thing you did and every piece of hardware/software that you touched isn't as important as getting them interested in calling you. Sell yourself in the interview, talk about those kinds of things there if they ask.

Also, you should have a professional email address. Yourname@outlook, gmail, etc. If you don't have one, make one and use it exclusively for your job hunting/resume/etc. You are going to get a lot of spam if you post an email address on job sites, etc. Might as well contain it to a single email address.

Your resume is really difficult to read as is. Try to create some space and make it easier to read.
    Try italicizing your job position instead of bolding, togenerate some contrast perhaps? Or perhaps bold and italicize your job position and remove the bolding from your company.

Perhaps bold/italicize your education names, or underline to bring some highlight to them.

You are greatly underselling your "skills". Think about what you bring to a company, spend some time actually thinking about how you CREATE value to a potential employer. Why should they hire you? What can you bring to their company?

There's always more...and feel free to disagree with anything I wrote. Just trying to provide suggestions to look at it differently.
    @bgraves
    I love your advice! This is just what I needed to get me to the next level I wanted. It's hard to do this because I don't want to lie on resume either.

When I mentioned the upgrades on my resume. I was the person behind the person doing it. He asked me for help since he knew I was studying it but I didn't perform the upgrade. I do know how to do it though... so yeah..

I do see where your getting at with it being hard to read so ill fix that. Also, will change to add some business impact.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    @bgraves can you review my resume? lol damn
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Jahaziel, the advice from Bgraves is right on. Your resume suffers of what I call the "install and configure syndrome". Anyone can do must of the stuff you have there. As a person involved in the hiring process, I don't care about that. I need to see how your contributions have resulted in improving the bottom line of your past employers. You must quantity your achievements. This is what will set you apart from the thousand "install + configure" guys out there. Anyone following a deployment guide can deploy stuff. Not everyone can deploy stuff in a manner that will result in reducing cost or improving processes.