Should I start this networking cert?

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm 28, and last year I completed N+ then CCNA late last year, I then started MCSA and realised I wanted to focus on Networking. I have just started to recap on CCNA and I'm going to read Network Warrior in the next few weeks. There is my background and this is my question.

I do have a job but not in Networking, I'm not able to move to a city until January, if I am to start CCNP it would be in June. So I would be still studying it come Jan no doubt. Should I start CCNP or wait till ive moved and got a networking job?

I badly want experience and I realise my first gig could well end up being helpdesk or at best junior net engineer. Some have told me to start it as it shows dedication/drive but others have said don't as I wont have any real world experience. Im not sure what to do. If no then what do I do from June to Jan?

Any opinions will be welcome :)

Comments

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Keep looking for a job like you said that is entry level but there is nothing wrong with furthering your education ever.

A lot of times people say get a job first then go to the next level because some people wonder how you passed the CCNP without any experience but I can tell you now it can be done. (It was hard for me to pass route because I didn't have a lot of routing experience, but I did it).

Otherwise from June to Jan what about a subsidiary of the CCNA? Like Security, Voice, Wireless, Datacenter, Architecture to study that way if all else fails you keep your CCNA up to date but expands your knowledge a little bit more.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    When I interview a CCNP, I have a certain level of expectation and I can tell right away if they are actually at the CCNP level. This said, it's never a bad thing to further your education and you should still go for the studies.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Why can't you start studying now? I plan to take a little time off once i get my CCNA but will start looking for a job in networking immediately upon passing, once landing a job in networking i'll start studying in CCNP
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. Well I've seen threads that recommend CCNP should only be started once you are in a networking position. There is 0 chance of me getting a job where I live so this is why I'm moving. The idea of another CCNA path is interesting, I was tempted to do voice a while back also which maybe is a better idea?
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Thanks for the feedback. Well I've seen threads that recommend CCNP should only be started once you are in a networking position. There is 0 chance of me getting a job where I live so this is why I'm moving. The idea of another CCNA path is interesting, I was tempted to do voice a while back also which maybe is a better idea?

I figure it would be a better idea.

That way you aren't over-certifying yourself (that sounds funny) but you can still get that entry level networking job and can also kind of say "I know about voice and how SIP works, etc" which may help you down the road.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879

I personally don't understand this point of view. You need to make some really silly arguments to make it seem like a bad idea to study core networking protocols if that is what you want to do for a living. The only plausible argument I can come up with is that it might annoy the person interviewing you if that person has previously gone for the CCNP and failed.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Never wait, always proceed , move forward , and conquer. Nothing happens to those who wait! Study, get the job you want, during or after your studies doesn't make a difference. Your enthusiasm and motivation to study will give you extra points on your resume with many employers.

Let those who continue to tell you to wait, continue to wait on their own personal goals in life lol

Imagine Jesus telling his apostles, you cannot spread the word of the Lord just yet, you need to wait before saving souls! lol

Now go kickith THY ARSES in your studies! icon_study.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    I personally don't understand this point of view. You need to make some really silly arguments to make it seem like a bad idea to study core networking protocols if that is what you want to do for a living. The only plausible argument I can come up with is that it might annoy the person interviewing you if that person has previously gone for the CCNP and failed.

this....plus he doesnt have to list the CCNP on his resume either until he gets some experience as well..
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I figure it would be a better idea.

That way you aren't over-certifying yourself (that sounds funny) but you can still get that entry level networking job and can also kind of say "I know about voice and how SIP works, etc" which may help you down the road.

I do fancy this cert, I was planning on doing it last year, I may try and complete this first then move on to CCNP after.
    fredrikjj wrote: »

Yeah, its not my point of view either really. I want to learn as much as possible but I have seen a lot of people talk about this. I leave to go to the city in Jan so if I started CCNP soon I would be well into it or even close to finishing by the time I get there and it should all be fresh.

If I did get CCNP, would I be qualified or suitable for an entry network position? I assume it won't all be over my head by that point. Getting ahead could be handy because at some point I will be doing CCNP anyway, in my opinion id rather go into a job knowing a bit more.
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    this....plus he doesnt have to list the CCNP on his resume either until he gets some experience as well..

You make a great point there.