Options

ISSEP Requirements

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm sitting my CISSP for the associate status in June. Planning my certification track afterward, I think the next logical step would be to gear myself towards the ISSEP. The certification, according to the website, have the requirements as follows:
To qualify for the CISSP–ISSEP, you must have at least two years of cumulative paid full-time professional work experience in the area of engineering, maintain your CISSP credential in good standing and pass the ISSEP examination.

Does that mean I could qualify for the ISSEP certification with that experience, while still maintaining a CISSP (Associate of ISC2) status?

Comments

• Options
    JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I'm sitting my CISSP for the associate status in June. Planning my certification track afterward, I think the next logical step would be to gear myself towards the ISSEP. The certification, according to the website, have the requirements as follows:
    To qualify for the CISSP–ISSEP, you must have at least two years of cumulative paid full-time professional work experience in the area of engineering, maintain your CISSP credential in good standing and pass the ISSEP examination.

Does that mean I could qualify for the ISSEP certification with that experience, while still maintaining a CISSP (Associate of ISC2) status?

I interpret it to mean that you must have a full CISSP, not the associate version, and it has to be in good standing in addition to the two years of relative experience, since you aren't technically awarded the CISSP credential until the experience is achieved, endorsed, and then accepted by ISC2. I could be wrong, but that is how it reads to me. Hopefully an authoritative source can clarify this for you.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    The concentrations require 2 years of specialized experience in addition to the 5 years for the CISSP. You should even take this exam until you have 7 years of experience, as you will be denied the certification.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    The concentrations require 2 years of specialized experience in addition to the 5 years for the CISSP. You should even take this exam until you have 7 years of experience, as you will be denied the certification.

I don't think it is two years in addition to the five years (or 4 years + waiver) required for the CISSP. If you take the latest CIB literally, it says:
    Candidates for the ISSEP must
    • be a CISSP in good standing,
    • have 2 years of cumulative paid full-time work experience in one or more domains of this concentration, and
    • complete the ISSEP application form to allow admittance to the exam.

For instance, I intend to sit the ISSEP exam at some point this year. I have 4.5 years of experience and will be a full CISSP as soon as the endorsement process finishes. I have well over two years experience in more than one of the ISSEP domains. All I would have to do is complete the ISSEP application form and I would meet all three of those requirements to sit the ISSEP exam and become an ISSEP upon successful passing of the exam. If this is not the case, then ISC2 needs to update their material to reflect the requirements exactly.

Also, the reason for my previous post was because, if you look at the first bullet point, it does not mention the Associate of ISC2 version of the CISSP. I would follow up with them directly to find out if it does or not.
  • Options
    Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jonnyg,

I would not have to follow up with ISC2 about the ability for an aCISSP to apply for the ISSEP endorsement, it doesn't say anything about it. It clearly states, as you pointed out "CISSP in good standing", there is no mention of an aCISSP since you cannot have it. I would be floored if ISC2 says you can get the ISSEP when you only have an aCISSP.

I am saying this because when I sent them my credentials, ISC2 sent me an email saying I had to resubmit with everything about CISSP REMOVED from my resume, etc since I am NOT fully endorsed by them, I cannot state anything such as "pending endorsement". Once I fixed that stuff, I then have to resubmit to them. Then they would continue their investigation into my credentials and award the CISSP accordingly if they see fit.
  • Options
    Grafixx01 wrote: »
    Jonnyg,

I would not have to follow up with ISC2 about the ability for an aCISSP to apply for the ISSEP endorsement, it doesn't say anything about it. It clearly states, as you pointed out "CISSP in good standing", there is no mention of an aCISSP since you cannot have it. I would be floored if ISC2 says you can get the ISSEP when you only have an aCISSP.

I am saying this because when I sent them my credentials, ISC2 sent me an email saying I had to resubmit with everything about CISSP REMOVED from my resume, etc since I am NOT fully endorsed by them, I cannot state anything such as "pending endorsement". Once I fixed that stuff, I then have to resubmit to them. Then they would continue their investigation into my credentials and award the CISSP accordingly if they see fit.

Grafixx01,

If you are sending them your resume to verify your work experience in order to process your CISSP endorsement paperwork, you cannot have anything regarding the CISSP on it. I agree with this statement. My resume did not list the CISSP in any way and I fully expect to hear back from them soon regarding my full CISSP. I did not take the exam to apply to be an Associate of ISC2 because I do have the minimum years required to be a full CISSP. I am simply pointing out that the original poster is only an Associate of ISC2 and doesn't have the necessary years required to become a full CISSP yet and thus doesn't have the required credential (CISSP) to sit the ISSEP exam according to the ISSEP CIB. Technically, I do not either until my endorsement is completed. It will be completed well before I have studied enough to sit the ISSEP exam, though, so I am not worried about not meeting the CISSP requirement by that time.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The ISSEP concentration is very much geared twoard government work, CAP in particular. Both the ISSAP and ISSEP are known for turning the crank up a notch as far as difficulty goes. Good luck.

- B Eads