Options

Debugging Windows

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
So I'm trying to learn how to debug Windows and analyze **** files, but I'm have trouble understanding symbol table files. Does anyone have a simple explanation?
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    seeing all those certs makes me think you should be able to figure out how! lol
  • Options
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    A quick google search brought me to this dmp file and blue screen error Windows 7

which then led me to this Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in **** files.

I am not looking to analyze a BSOD with BlueScreenView. While BSV is great for analyzing **** files from a high level, what I am looking to do is use the Windows Debugging Toolkit to analyze memory/kernel **** at a more granular level. And yes, I'm sure I could search Google for a bit and find an answer to my question, but the whole point of this forum is to ask questions and share knowledge.

seeing all those certs makes me think you should be able to figure out how! lol

The certifications I have do not cover using WinDbg. While I do appreciate your post, I do not appreciate the impudent, sarcastic tones behind it.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    And did you see this page that was on the link that I posted, there really is no need to quote me...

Configuring the "Debugging Tools" - Windows 7 Help Forums
  • Options
    And did you see this page that was on the link that I posted, there really is no need to quote me...

Configuring the "Debugging Tools" - Windows 7 Help Forums

And did you see my original question?
    4_lom wrote: »
    So I'm trying to learn how to debug Windows and analyze **** files, but I'm have trouble understanding symbol table files. Does anyone have a simple explanation?

• Options
    the user in the windows7 forum does a pretty good job doing a simple explanation
  • Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Install the debugging tools for Windows.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    Could you show me the part where he explains what symbols ARE? I see that he explains how to configure them, but I'm not seeing where he gives an explanation of what they are, which was my question.

• Options
    @gbdavidx, that link does have a lot of good info though, so thank you.

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    4_lom wrote: »
    Could you show me the part where he explains what symbols ARE?

Developer to the rescue!

Symbol files are metadata like the list of functions, variables, frame pointer information, source code line number, etc that a debugger needs to provide you with reliable information from the compiled code when it is executing.
  • Options
    Developer to the rescue!

Symbol files are metadata like the list of functions, variables, frame pointer information, source code line number, etc that a debugger needs to provide you with reliable information from the compiled code when it is executing.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks Robert!

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    AKA human readable icon_wink.gif