Stateless Address AutoConfiguration and DHCPv6

jcarrillo26jcarrillo26 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello i would like to start off with thank you for reading my post and providing feedback!

Is stateless address auto configuration and EUI-64 the same taking a mac address splitting it up and inserting FFFE and inverting the 7 bit?

Also, i am having the hardest time understanding how DHCPv6 works. If anyone can it explaining it in clear terms i would appreciate it.

Comments

• TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    IPv6 hosts can acquire IP addresses using stateless address autoconfiguration, or by using the stateful DHCPv6.

IPv6 hosts can configure themselves automatically when connected to an IPv6 network using the Neighbor Discovery Protocol via Internet Control Message Protocol version 6 (ICMPv6) router discovery messages.

Hence, a host can automatically assign itself a unique 64-bit IPv6 interface identifier without the need for manual configuration or DHCPv6 (EUI-64).

However, IPv6 hosts that use stateless autoconfiguration may require information other than an IP address.
    DHCPv6 can be used to acquire this information, even though it is not being used to configure IP addresses.

If IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration is unsuitable for an application, a network may use stateful configuration with the DHCPv6 or hosts may be configured manually using static methods.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • jcarrillo26jcarrillo26 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey thanks for the feedback, so a host can get an ipv6 address dhcpv6 or stateless right? is one of those options more desired than the other?
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Either DHCPv6 or SLAAC can be used to get an address. Neither one is more "desirable" than the other. They work differently, provide some different features, and require different amounts of effort to set up and maintain.

For the most part, SLAAC is easier to implement and it just works.

DHCPv6 takes more configuration and is a bit more complicated administratively, but provides more features. Think about DHCP options that can specify things like a tftp server to pull a configuration file from.