Options

Kickstarter Anyone used?

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
So I was looking for pet food when I somehow stumbled on this website called kickstarter. Its a crowd funding website, anyone ever use it?

Its kinda cool how you can basically try and fund anything..
This is the site I landed on lmao pet treats made with CRICKETS!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/250954362/organic-pet-treat-made-w-crickets-earth-friendly-a

Comments

• Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    It's one of the more popular crowd funding websites and competes directly with IndieGoGo and GoFundMe. There are some pretty cool little start ups that got their break with KickStarter. Bands, inventors, people who can't pay their medical bills, it is filled with all different types of opportunities and sob stories. It is by no means new as they have been around for a few years now.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    pandiculatorpandiculator Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I helped fund free CCNA training and got my rewards.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crouthamela/free-cisco-ccna-video-training
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC

A lot of it's taken on goodwill. Kickstarter themselves provide no guarantees about the projects and there's not much you can do about unsuccessful projects. You could end up disappointed even if the project is successful if the person/company takes the project in a direction you don't agree with. The Oculus Rift fiasco and its backers' outcry is well documented

However, I was pleased with the project I backed and wouldn't hesitate to donate to projects I thought worthy of support in future.
  • Options
    Very good project relevant to this forum.

Can you explain why videos 53-84 are set to private?

Thanks for sharing these resources. With my certification plan for the year now in a toss up, I may actually go through this series.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    And some Kickstarters go on to be bought by Facebook, angering the kickstarters who backed it: OCULUS: Didn't Expect Negative Response $2 Billion Facebook Deal - Business Insider
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The original project lead / developer for SOCOM 1 and 2 recently had a software project out there called H Hour. I never got a chance to donate, which really ticks me off. Anyway I love the site it's a great place for concepts and ideas.
  • Options
    pandiculatorpandiculator Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »

Can you explain why videos 53-84 are set to private?

I'm not sure of the author's reasoning but he's uploading 1 per day over 84 days. If you elect to buy the videos for $25 (link in the YouTube descriptions) then you get them all at once.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Didn't the lead developer for Minecraft stop writing software for OCULUS since FB bought the company?
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I am a supporter of a few: coin, lockitron, and Tile. I should be getting my lockitron in the next few weeks, they had some issues with production
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    I am a supporter of a few: coin, lockitron, and Tile. I should be getting my lockitron in the next few weeks, they had some issues with production
    Lockitron looks awesome!
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »

I looked at Tile a couple of times - I hope they follow through. Seems like vaporware though.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen look to be two games that have got a real good start from Kick-starter.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think Kickstarter is a pretty good idea but I don't care for how it went from being primarily a donation program to get a concept to market to becoming a preorder consumer market almost. I don't consider myself an investor because I don't have a say in the process but more about just wanting the idea to become a reality. The people who start projects though are guilty of creating the preorder mentality also though.....